1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do I feed chickens of various ages?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by can you hear me now?, Jun 29, 2008.

1. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I have hens that are about a year old along with my new one that went out just a little bit ago and then I have a rooster. Now I am wanting egg production but on the other hand i am still wanting my little ones to grow. Then there is the rooster, is there a balanced feed i can give them, to meet all of these needs, or should I have 3 different feeders in there?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can put out flock raiser as well as a feeder of layer ration and provide extra oyster shell for calcium. They will eat what they need and the chicks and rooster will ignore what they don't need.

3. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    can you hear me now? :

I have hens that are about a year old along with my new one that went out just a little bit ago and then I have a rooster. Now I am wanting egg production but on the other hand i am still wanting my little ones to grow. Then there is the rooster, is there a balanced feed i can give them, to meet all of these needs, or should I have 3 different feeders in there?

well , I have also a varity of ages . I put out the laying pellets for the hens , and I also put out the grower feed for the teens . At times I notice hens are eating the grower and teens are eating the laying pellets .

lol​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by