What do I feed her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by waghmg, Feb 15, 2012.

1. waghmg

waghmg Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Ok...gotten myriads of advice on what to do w/hen w/impacted crop. Believe me I have tried practically EVERYTHING recommended. Again, I do not smell an odor on her breath so maybe not sour.

Things she will NOT EAT:
    Yogurt
    Eggs--boiled or scrambled
    Tomatoes
    Applesauce
    bread soaked w/olive oil

She had eaten a day or two ago softened crumbles in warm water. She ate quite a bit. Then yesterday seemed to not be interested in them softened.

All she is interested in is the dry crumbles. I did break down and let her eat some yesterday simply because I couldn't stand her starving. She always gets excited when I bring the jar over and she loves eating them out of the jar.

Her crop this morning is not really hard..somewhat soft, but does have something in it. She is drinking water (out of the dog bowel LOL per previous post, not in small container in her crate).

WHAT NOW?

Is this the end for her?

Thanks to everyone who has helped...and the long road continues on.....

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Feed her the crumbles! There is always hope if the appetite is there. Feed her, then palpate the crop. Wait one hour and palpate the crop again to determine if food is passing.

3. waghmg

Mar 15, 2011
    That makes me feel better...Nothing to lose I guess.

One more question...should I continue to give her some olive oil before palpating her crop? Anyone?

Thanks so much!

4. waghmg

Mar 15, 2011
    Now I've tried EVERYTHING.

Now she is no longer eating her crumbles...She did eat a few pellets that I tried to break down into pieces several times this morning.

Took her outside and she seemed to enjoy the sunshine, walked a little then proceeded to stand around in the sun w/her eyes closed.

Wish there was a vet I could take her to but there is not one around that will see chickens.

Starting to wonder if this is it for her......She seems to be interested in live worms...but dare not try to give her earthworms from my compost pile. Called around and all I can find are red worms as fishing bait.

Beginning to think we're out of options......: (

5. waghmg

Mar 15, 2011
    This is an ever changing story...I'm afraid not always for the good, but...Yesterday I could get Daisy to eat hardly anything not even worms. She had been eating her crumbles, then stopped. Today I discovered, by accident, that she likes her crumbles now pounded into a powder!! She's now been eating for a good 5 minutes or so! And at least she is still drinking, although only out of the dog bowl!!

Still very guarded about her prognosis, but at least she's geting some happiness from eating and who knows....

Just had to share.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by