What do I feed my chickens.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FF, Jul 29, 2010.

1. FF

FF Songster

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hello. I have raised chickens for a long while. And normally I use Dumor 16%. Well I have used this and these blame hens still aint laying. I always have hens that lay at 17-19 weeks. they are 19. Not a single egg. So at TSC do I get Layena or is Dumor still a good feed?

2. le neige homme

le neige homme Chirping

Jul 15, 2010
    Quote:Any day now, bruthah...any day. [​IMG]

3. calicokat

calicokat Songster

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    It might be the heat contributing to the lack of eggs too. Out of 7 layers, I'm only getting 3 eggs a day - from the same three gals. It's been in the 90's here in Indiana.

4. cybercat

cybercat Songster

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Get them off the Dunmor go to layena or Flock Raiser. They will start laying with the better feed. Dunmor is a bad cheap version of Purina.

5. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I switched from Layena to Nutrena since my feedstore has 50# for $6.99

It's been hot as blazes in my part of IN, but I am still getting 3-4 eggs daily from 5 hens (one went broody on me)

6. FF

FF Songster

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    ok. Thank you all very much for the replys. Thanks cyber cat for the suggestion. Thats all I have fed to my chickens except when I got a $5 coupon for a bag of feed. Cybercat will tell you that it's not been too cool around here lately. Its been in the low 90's. Not very comfortable. Cybercat, I'm over in Jefferson county. I will switch to Layena and Nutrina. But the problem is I don't think any where around here sells nutrina, 2dogsfarm. But I might just try and find one at the local bulk feed dealer. Thanks for all the help again!

7. cybercat

cybercat Songster

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    I just went threw looking for a new feed since my local feed store closed and I will not feed Purina if I can help it. What I did is go to each feed company website and did a dealer search. The only one I came up with that was close enough and good was ADM in Beanstation. They are much cheaper than Purina by a couple of dollors more expensive than what I was getting before but more complete on the recipe. So I pay $2 more for better quality. I go up that way once a week anyway so it is not out of my way to pick up feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by