What do I feed my girls to put some weight on them?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by maclady, Sep 21, 2011.

1. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    I'm new to chicken keeping & have 4 BOs. How do I get them to put on some weight? I picked them up yesterday to check them over and it seems like they are kind of skinny under all the fluffy feathers. They act fine, feathers are nice and glossy, eat well and lay great but I think they may be a little skinny. Eggs are hard shelled w/orange yolks. I have been feeding them Purina Layena Crumbles & Purina Flock Raiser mixed at 75/25. I had the girls on flock raiser after the starter and before they started laying and am trying to use it up. I also keep oyster shell available to them along with grit. They get at minimum 2 hours a day free range time with access to a plot of Omega 3 forage for chickens from Happy Valley. They usually get two handfuls of a mixture to get them back into their coop after free ranging. Mix is a handful of scratch, handful of BOSS, and some millet and if that doesn't work I add mealworms. Treats lately have been squash, grapes, oatmeal and 5 strawberries. I just want the best for my girls. I may just be wrong about their weight cause they are hatchery chicks and they range in size, plus I don't know a lot about chickens. I have one large lady and they go down in size from there. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks [​IMG]

2. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Since they are laying eggs with good shells and the only issue you see is they may be skinny. IMO if they are laying eggs and are eating/drinking then leave them alone. They eat when they need to and you would have more issues if they are over weight then you would if they were slightly under weight but it actually sounds like their weight is just fine for them.

3. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I have five BO's at 20 weeks who are passing time until they decide to start laying. It sounds that you might be over-thinking the feed bit. I feed mine Purina Layena, some scratch grains, treats, and about an hour a day of free ranging.
    Everybody is healthy and happy. I think you are doing perfectly.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:x2

Orps do seem skinny when you realize most of what you're seeing is feathers sometimes. A good guideline is if the breastbone is prominent or not. If they appear to have a crease in the front of their chests when standing, then they're fine or even overweight. If not, they could be underweight. Sounds like you've got them on a great diet and shouldn't have any issues there.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  5. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Have you wormed them to see if that helps?

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    When was the last time you wormed them? Mine got really skinny and after I wormed them, they were able to put weight back on and look normal sized again.

7. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    I have not wormed them as they are only 7 1/2 months old. Their coop & run area is kept very clean. I'm picky. I have not seen any worms when cleaning. I think from what others have posted that they are probably fine and I am just worrying for nothing. When should you worm chickens? (I just found the info on another thread) Thank You everyone for the help. It is amazing how much I learn on here and from my girls. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    They probably are fine but if you've never wormed them and they're 7 1/2 months old, worm them. Don't wait until you see worms in the poo to do it. By then they have a really heavy infestation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by