What do I feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jarcoo0153, Jul 23, 2010.

1. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I have one flock of chickens that are 3 weeks old, and I had them vaccinated for Marek's and fed them Purina Start and grow. Now My friends are giving me four duck that are a few days old and he has been feeding a chick starter, ( I didn't think you could do that). I also have 31 chickens and two guineas coming next friday( I forgot to tell the hatchery to vaccinate.) So my question is do I need to start using flock raiser, or can I stick with start and grow since they were not vaccinated like the rest of my flock?
    Thanks,
    Jared

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    In MY opinion, all of your birds can eat the Start and Grow(as long as it isn't medicated).
    If it IS medicated, your ducks can't eat it-you could get them a Game Bird Starter/Grower which your guineas can also eat.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    There's no reason why ducks can't eat medicated chick starter. In days past chick starter was medicated with an arsenic compound that was fatal to ducks. Modern starters are medicated with Amprollium, a thiamine blocker, which is fine for ducks.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I agree with NYREDS all the way.
    I hatch a round 50 to 100 ducks a year and I have no problem with them eating medicated feed.
    Like NYREDS said today's medicated poultry feed is medicated with Amprollium and all Amprollium witch is Corid.

easttxchick-
    Most Game Bird Starter/ Grower is medicated with Amprollium also... (Some are non-medicated)

Chris

5. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by