What do I Feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sylverfly, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    So I have a flock of old laying hens (still laying), and a group of young hens about to lay. The problem I have is I’m about to introduce a hen and her adopted chicks ( very young) to the flock what do I feed the flock? Laying crumbles is what they’re getting now but I’ve heard there is too much calcium in it for chicks. So do I feed the whole flock chick feed and supplement with oster shell, if I do that will I get soft eggs. Any help would be great.

2. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

that is what i do.and with the oyster shell you dont have to worry about a soft shell

3. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    Ok thanks for the fast reply I’m leaving in a few minutes to pick up some feed so its good to know what to buy, thanks.

I was also going to buy some bulk greens from the grocery store, is spinach ok or is there something better. I want to freeze it so they get something green all winter long (for them) and so I continue to get good yolk colors (for me).

4. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

i give a variety,but spinach is good

5. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The chicks won't eat hardly any, if any, of the oyster shell. Hang the feeder with the layer high enough that the chicks can't reach it. Some of the hens will eat the chick's starter, some will not; won't hurt them a bit. Just keep the layer out of reach of the babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by