what do I have? - given an incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carousel, Jan 15, 2009.

1. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    I was given a
    Little Giant Still Air Incubator model 9200
    and a Little Giant Turner 6200
    they have never been used
    can anyone tell me about my newest toy?
    thanks!

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    That they frusterate some, and others LOVE them. I suggest working on the temps for a week before you plan to get any eggs. Put it in a room that has stable temperatures EVEN if that means sticking it in your closet [​IMG]

Other than that it's great you have a turner! Leaves less room for error (as you dont need to turn them by hand and mess with the temps). [​IMG]

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Good luck [​IMG]

4. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    SEE I have A LOT to learn,
    room with a stable temp? oh my
    Humm time to do more reading and learning tips etc.

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Yep, like my room is HORRIBLE for an LG. Our house stays at 61 F which would be fine...however at night when we sleep we shut the door which lowers the temp, as well as we put the fan on (as both hubby and i can't sleep without it on) this all hurts the temperature of the incubator. It will lower it. Also its' normally very cold here, but the other day it got into the 40s which is warm for this time of year, since my incubator was cranked really high to keep up with the cold house, when the cold house got warmer because of the outside temps, so did my incubator it spiked to 108 which killed some chicks developing in the eggs [​IMG]

Technically my incubator is no longer an LG, Im just using partsof the LG with my homemade parts however all of the above applies.

If you're unsure of your room temps (where you plan to keep the incubator) buy yourself a $5 hydrometer (tells you the F temp and % humidity) and you can check the highest and lowest temps that it recorded. So say you wake up and it reads 65F, but you too shut your bedroom door at night you can press the high/low button and it will tell you how cold it got at night. If it fluctuates so too will your incubator if you dont keep tabs on it. I have to wake up atleast twice a night to make sure my incubator temps stay stable.....so like others i Know...we stay up late just so we dont miss temperature spikes or drops. [​IMG]

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My LG holds it's temp just fine, and the room it's in fluctuates pretty badly. I prefer it as a hatcher though, I like my Hova for the bator half.

7. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I know the temp adjustment on these is extremely touchy. It can be tough to turn the little red knob without making a huge jump in temp. Some suggest gluing some sort of larger knob on to give you a less touchy adjustment.
    If yours didn't come with the instructions here you go:
    http://www.eggcartons.com/downloads/incubatorinstructions1.pdf

8. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:you're lucky! most dont have that luck with em! LOL!

9. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:oh yes yes that's the other problem! LOL! You'll master it after a while whichis why i reccomend playing with it for a week until you actually put some eggs in it. [​IMG]

10. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i love my LG , i also have a turner and fan kit in it. that helps the temps stay more stable in it, it is just like all the rest of them you just got to learn how it works for you. good luck ps with fan kit i keep temps at 99.5 and humidty at 30-35% days 1-18, on day 18 bring humidty up to 50-55% this is what works best for me, you can use an old PC FAN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by