1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do I have here?? Part 2

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 14 chickens & counting, Jan 13, 2011.

1. 14 chickens & counting

14 chickens & counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    I know these are "bantams" because they are MUCH smaller than my other hens, but just wondering if anyone could give me some more specifics. I think one may be a "Barred rock? or Plymouth rock?"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The first looks to be a D'Uccle roo. A "Barred Rock" is a Barred Plymouth Rock. "Barred" is a color not a breed. Now, as to the breed of your little barred girl... What kind of comb does the barred have?

3. 14 chickens & counting

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    Quote:Still learning this chicken stuff.........As to the comb(I do know what that is)...but what are you asking exactly when you asked about "What kind of comb..."?

4. akcountrygrrl

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    There are different kinds of combs... Single combs are those like the one on the chicken in the first picture. Pea comb are rather close to the head and have 3 fairly distinct rows of bumps. A rose comb is fairly close to the head with some bumps on it and a small spike off the back. Walnut combs are rather small and roundish and wrinkly similar in appearance to a walnut shell. V combs are just that - V shaped (look like horns, hehehe). There are other kinds of combs too but those are the most common types of combs seen. Knowing what kind of comb a chicken has can point you toward determining its breed.

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    14 chickens & counting :

Quote:Still learning this chicken stuff.........As to the comb(I do know what that is)...but what are you asking exactly when you asked about "What kind of comb..."?

The red thing on top of it's head. [​IMG]

6. 14 chickens & counting

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    Quote:Thanks for the info...I think it's more like a Pea comb. This is JUST the kind of info. I am looking for. I had no idea that the comb could help determine the breed. She also has a fan tail.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

The red thing on top of it's head. [​IMG]

Be nice. This is a newbie looking for information. I think she knows WHAT a comb is, but not everyone in the world knows there are different kinds. So play nice.

8. akcountrygrrl

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Hmmm, if I remember right, Dominiques have pea combs... And are barred with clean legs (which means the legs aren't feathered). But I don't recall what color of leg they are supposed to have.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks like a Dominique on the bottom, a D'Anver or D'Uccle cross on top.

10. 14 chickens & counting

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    Thanks everybody for the info! Yall are the best![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by