What do i have here?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mspat37, Oct 28, 2016.

1. mspat37

mspat37 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2016
    [​IMG]

2. mspat37

Oct 28, 2016
    Help

3. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

He kind of looks like a barred variety of a Red Ranger. Not sure if you wanted gender either, but that is a rooster. I'm also trying to find out what that black is on his combs/wattles; anyone else have ideas?

4. mspat37

Oct 28, 2016
    Really a rooster? Not a Dixie Rainbow? I have silkie rooster and they don't fight. I am very new to chickens. Should I be worried about the black?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  5. henny1129

Definitely a rooster! Those tail feathers tell you that. :) I believe Dixie Rainbows and Red Rangers are the same thing, but not an expert on that topic. Lots of roosters fight and lots of roosters don't fight, it depends on a lot of things, including how many hens you have with the roosters. It's okay, we were all new to chickens at some point in our lives. :) I'm not sure because I don't really know what that is......sickness like stuff isn't my specialty. ;) I'll tag a few members in this post and see if they now what the black is. @casportpony, @donrae, know what the black is? I know you guys are more knowledgable with this type of thing.....

6. mspat37

Oct 28, 2016
    Darn. I can't have two roosters. Thank you for all your help. Do you know the white one? I also have a Silkie rooster, Americauna hen and Polish hen

7. henny1129

I'm sorry. :hugs Glad I could help. :) The white one looks like a Columbian Wyandotte hen. She has very dark colored wattles and comb, but her tail feathers are hen-ish so you should be good there. You might even get eggs from her soon! Those are great breeds!

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Your hen looks like a Delaware. Your rooster is a Dixie Rainbow, and definitely male. The third bird in the pic is a hen, but I can't tell breed from just her "best side" lol. Probably your Easter egger.

I have no idea what the black is on his face and comb. He doesn't look well in the picture, kind of hunched over. If that's how he usually appears, I'd cull him. You don't need him for breeding, etc, and if he's just not a healthy animal it's time for him to move on.

9. henny1129

I hadn't thought of Delaware for that hen, good thought! When I was thinking of all the breeds with those colors I knew I was missing one. :)

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, there are several Colombian colored birds, so keeping them straight takes a bit of effort. Besides body shape differences, here's some easy tells....

This hen has yellow legs, a straight comb, and you can see the black in her neck is barred, not solid black. That all means Delaware.

Colombian Rocks would have yellow legs and straight combs, but solid black in the neck/hackle.

Colombian Wyandotte would have a rose comb and solid black hackle.

Light Sussex would have white legs, straight comb and solid hackle.

Light Brahma would have pea comb, feathered yellow legs, and solid hackle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by