1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what do I have here?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Muzzie, May 19, 2009.

1. Muzzie

Muzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Connecticut
    These are Buff Orpington Chicks I ordered 3 pullets how they can tell at 1 day old is beyond me well anyway one of these chicks is not like the others. They are 6 weeks old I don't see any wattles or combs turning red or growing faster then the others but they don't look the same to me. Calling on the chicken experts what do you think now that they are older? Is it still to soon to tell?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    They're looking like pullets to me. Which one do you think looks different?

eta: I just looked at the pictures again and I see a cockerel and two pullets. The one with the head shot has a rather large comb.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Looks like a cockerel and two pullets.

4. Muzzie

Apr 16, 2009
    Connecticut
    One of them has a very different tail and is broader in the body that the other two also is slower to feather out. In #6 the 0ne in the front

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:ditto

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:ditto

ditto!

7. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I see which one you are talking about. It *does* have a larger comb, but it doesn't have growing red wattles. I wouldn't call it a rooster for sure. I have two buff orps that I got from Ideal, I ordered pullets. I used to worry that one was a slow maturing roo because it grew a huge comb early on, but it didn't have wattles to match. Turns out she's just a hen with an oversized floppy comb. She lays nice big pinkish eggs everyday for me!

The BO cockerels I've had seem to grow large wattles along with a blazing red comb, and I think you would see some blazing red on it by 6 weeks. My BO cockerels were obviously no question about it boys by 4 weeks.

This is a BO/RIR cross roo at 6 weeks.

[​IMG]

This is a pure BO roo at 6 weeks. (He's so fat because he was the buddy to a crippled chick and he pigged out on all the food while they were in isolation together, lol.)

[​IMG]

(ETA: After gazing at these pictures, they might be a bit younger than 6 weeks, but close enough...)

8. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Look like pullets to me but the tail on the one is making me wonder -- you should know for sure in another week.

9. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    In the last picture the bird furthest to the left is a male.............you have 2 girls and 1 boy.

10. Muzzie

Apr 16, 2009
    Connecticut
    Andora: I see how red the comb is on your roosters mine isn't red at all.

Sherrydeanne: The tail is what made me start to doubt the sex of this chick it has stuck up since 1 week old and it stands upright not down like the other two.

Does anyone know what the age would be when a rooster starts to crow? How late can it be before I know for sure. Hopefully before the eggs start coming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by