What do I have here?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ValleyofRoses, Mar 31, 2011.

1. ValleyofRoses

ValleyofRoses Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    Woodinville
    Finally able to post pictures! Yay! I've been dying to get people's advice on what breeds I have here, since I've never seen anything quite like them. Are they mixes? If so, what kind? The closest thing I can guess is Wellsummer, but not exactly...

Here's my 1.5 year old Roo, Tiny. He's a really good boy, not especially friendly but no one in my flock is. He's very good at what he does though, haha.
    [​IMG]

And the Triplets (that's what we call them since they're identical and there's three, haha)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Their head poofs perplex me. And they all have really big personalities. One is dead set on escaping, and I have to round her up on a daily basis. They're large hens, the same size as my Barred Rocks, and great egg layers.

Please help me identify them! I'm relatively new to chickens...

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  2. MrsFordTN

MrsFordTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    I have to say first, IDK what they are, but they are cute, love the hair dos! Where did you get them?

3. ValleyofRoses

Mar 19, 2011
    Woodinville
    I adopted them from a family that had a whole crazy variety of chickens, we got 12 hens from them, one of which was a D'uccle, 2 Ameraucanas some BRs and RIRs and then these guys. It was a very strange group, but I've grown to love them. They didn't seem to know what they were either...I guess they got them from some breeder friends? Or else it was online. I'm thinking since they're all exactly the same, they can't be mutts...

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Your roo has an interesting crest thing going on too. Where are you located?

5. ValleyofRoses

Mar 19, 2011
    Woodinville
    I'm in Woodinville, WA just outside of Seattle. The flock I adopted was from just down the street.

6. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    They are lovely birds. I do not regognize a pure breed, but then you have unique chickens no one else has. [​IMG]

for my own interpretation: Your roo Tiny is a Golden-Chested Latin Ladies Macho Man. [​IMG]

Your hens the Triplets are sporting a new trend, Hi-Fashion Hair For Hens. That's right, as-seen-on-TV, the Bump-It for Hens is only $19.95!! But wait!! There's MORE!! If you call now, 1-800-HEN-HATS, we will send you a FREE pair of Toe Socks for Chickens!!!!!!!!! No more cold nights on the roost!! Your hens will be the envy of all the neighborhood coops with their Bump-It for Hens AND their cozy Chicken Toe Socks!! Call now!!!!

7. alabamachick

alabamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Alabama
  8. ValleyofRoses

Mar 19, 2011
    Woodinville
    [​IMG]

Omigoodness. That's too funny.

Yeah, I thought they just might be pretty mutts. Thanks for the compliments! And yeah, if I figure it out I'll let that person know. Haha.

Edit: Although, her roo doesn't look much like mine at all...I dunno.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  9. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    no idea about the roo. the triplets look like they may have some golden campine in them. maybe they get their had feathers from some polish influence. There could be some wellsomer influence too.

What color eggs do they lay?

10. ValleyofRoses

Mar 19, 2011
    Woodinville
    Their eggs are very round and peachy colored. And big. And tasty. Haha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by