What do I have here?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by smith76, Jan 19, 2014.

1. smith76

smith76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Had this bird since late last spring early summer. He came from Atwoods, so I guess that mean he came from Ideal poultry. I say he cause I assu[​IMG][/IMG]me its a rooster.

2. smith76

Jun 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. joelharris

joelharris Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes definite rooster, sorry [​IMG], I don't no his breed exactly but I would guess maybe Houdan.

4. smith76

Jun 21, 2013
    Anyone else have any idea what breed he is?

5. schipperkemom

schipperkemom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi, the bird pictured is for sure a rooster...I raise quite a few Silver Laced Polish from my breeding pens each year, and would sure appreciate it if anyone has a pretty sure-fire method to determine sex before they are 5-6 months old. By that time, those extra roosters have consumed a tremendous amount of feed, and the feed bill would be half as much if one could cull them out early. You can sometimes have an idea of the gender of the chick, but it's just guessing and I would llike to be more accurate than that.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think its a Polish or Crevecouer. Houdans are bearded and have 5 toes. All 3 breeds have V combs and Creves and Polish can both have slate/bluish legs (which the Creve should have). I think he's a non-bearded silver laced Polish (with not so great lacing, but that doesn't make him any less handsome).

As far as sexing Polish, the easiest way for me to tell is a combination of crest and comb. Small, pink combs and round crests say female. Spikey crests and larger (though their combs shouldn't be that big), redder combs say male.
    Even then its not always right. Polish are just one of those breeds that are hard to sex, I think that's something you just have to deal with when you raise fancy, ornamental breeds. I breed Silkies, so I feel your pain.

7. Flat Rock farm

Flat Rock farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    Branchton, ON Canada
    I think he almost looks like an Apenzeller Spitzenhauben cross??? [​IMG]

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a hatchery-quality Silver-Laced Polish cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by