What do I have here?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jrg2170, Jan 14, 2015.

1. jrg2170

jrg2170 New Egg

Jan 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

2. jrg2170

jrg2170 New Egg

Jan 14, 2015
    This bird ahowed up about a week ago. Doesn't crow. Comb not really there. Rooster or chicken? Variety?

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I copied the URL so people could see the photo more easily. He is a rooster. The breed may be Easter Egger. I can't tell from the photo is he has a beard, which many Easter Egger's have. Maybe he was run off from his flock by a more dominant rooster.
    [​IMG]

4. jrg2170

jrg2170 New Egg

Jan 14, 2015

5. jrg2170

jrg2170 New Egg

Jan 14, 2015
    He has no beard, very slight comb, I have not heard him crow. What hens would he be compatible with? I live in Tennessee.

6. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Depends on what you mean by compatible. You could have him with any number of breeds of hens if you're looking for a flock rooster. Now if your interest lies in egg color or what you can get, I'm assuming he carries the blue egg gene because he looks like an Easter egger and has a pea comb which is often associated with the blue egg gene. So if you're after egg colors you could put him with more Easter eggers for blue or greenish eggs, welsumers or black copper marans for olive eggers, white egg layers for a tinted blue or tinted green egg.

7. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Here is a photo of an Easter Egger rooster that I found on line. They are kind of a cross breed, called Easter Egger because they may carry the gene for Green or Blue colored eggs. They usually have what is called a pea comb, as opposed to the tall single comb that we think about on roosters. A younger rooster who is lower on the pecking order in the flock may not crow much, but that could change if he gets comfortable with his surroundings. Roosters are not picky about the breed of hen. For the sake of the hens, I like to have hens that are at least the same size or larger than the rooster. So I would not get hens that are called "bantam" because they are small.
    [​IMG]

8. ChookRanger

ChookRanger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    Just for fun I will say you have a motorcycle, a couple of chargers, a bucket, a bicycle, a gascan, a storage bin, some dead leaves, and a rooster. [​IMG]

9. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Very nice looking rooster. You can put him with whatever hens you like. Do you have plans to raise specific types of chicks or just a nice good looking barnyard mix?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by