What do I have--not what I thought

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ryanhodapp, May 27, 2010.

1. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    These are my first chicks and I bought them from a feed store. As babies I thought I had a RIR, Buff orpington and Barred Rock. Now that they are about 9 weeks, I dont think so. Any insight to breed and sex would be appreciated.
    I also posted by Easter Eggers, they are 4 weeks now, but pictures are from about 2 weeks. What colors will they end up being?
    Thanks,
    Trying to figure out how to post pictures...

2. ryanhodapp

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    The 3rd chicken in the 3rd picture looks like my girls do and they are Golden Buff chickens. They all look very nice. [​IMG]

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    The all red one looks like a Rhode Island red and the brown and white one looks like a red sex link or golden comet. I don't know on the 3rd one.

5. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

the black and reddish brown one is a gold-laced Wyandotte. that's exactly what mine looked like at that age.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  6. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    black/gold - gold laced wyandotte. Red - RIR. Red/white: golden comet/sex link.

I can't tell from your pic what color the ee's will be. [​IMG]

7. ryanhodapp

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    ok, so what is a gold laced Wyandotte/red sex link/golden comet and is it a girl or boy?
    it was later to develop feathers than the RIR and the white one. As a young chick was more passive, now seems to be a leader.

Golden Buff? what is that

are they white or brown layers?

thanks for the help.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Golden Buffs are a sexlink hybrid layer. They lay brown eggs.

9. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

i would guess that your gold-laced Wyandotte (GLW) is a pullet... by 9 weeks my cockerels had pretty red combs already. they are brown egg layers.

10. ryanhodapp

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    thanks everyone, I can sleep better now. That is the last time I buy chicks that arent labeled for breed.
    My son will be happy to hear that the GLW looks to be a pullet. I thought for sure she was turning roo.

These little chicks, Pochy (GLW), Brownie (RIR) and Sally the golden comet, are going to a community garden and I am keeping the EEs. I was going to try to keep them all, put after seeing full grown RIR, I dont have room for 8 chicks on my city lot.

I havent named the EE's because I cant tell them apart yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by