1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do I have??UPDATED!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tina D, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    Hi everyone!

I have my 2 little chickies, who are approximately 6 weeks old. I'd love opinions on their gender. They are cochin mixed with mille fleur d'uccle (sp?). Their names were chosen by my kids, so excuse the silliness. [​IMG] Radio is the chick with little white patches on the face, and Nugget has no white face patches.

Nugget is quite a bit bigger than Radio, and also has a taller, redder comb. Nugget is clearly dominant over Radio. In addition, Nugget is much more "gutsy" than Radio. When my cat came over to check the chicks out recently, Nugget marched right up to her and pecked her nose! I imagine Nugget is a boy?? I'm just praying that at least one is a girl, because I'm not allowed to keep roosters here. I'll attach some pics of them, along with their half-sister, Lillie. Lillie is almost a year old, and she has the same cochin mom as the chicks. Lillie's dad is a Polish, though. I got all of my birds from the same farm.

This is Nugget:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Radio:
    [​IMG]

This is both of them:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is Lillie, the half-sister:
    [​IMG]

So, what do you think????

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I think you have two little boys there.

3. chickensgalore

chickensgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    hillsdale,michigan
    definately boys.

4. Tina D

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    Oh, nooooo! You think so?! [​IMG] Is it the combs that make you say that?

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Yeah.. They look like boys. Only 6 weeks old and having combs that big and red... [​IMG]

6. RhapsodyRanches

RhapsodyRanches Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    I agree, those both look like roos. Those combs are pretty large for babies.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:x2

8. Tina D

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    Radio crowed this evening! He tried very, very hard to make it sound good. It was very cute, but not at all mighty. LOL

When I went out to put them to bed, I opened the door to the chick run. The 2 of them were in a scuffle, and I assumed that maybe they were just crabby from the heat. Nugget (the bigger chick) had Radio by the neck feathers, and wouldn't let go! So, I separated them. Hubby was holding Radio on his arm. Suddenly Radio stretched out his little neck and let loose! It was awesome to witness, even though I'm sad that he will have to go back to live on the farm. Nugget is also making some odd noises, but not the pronounced attempt at a crow yet. I figured that once one did, the other would copy. We'll see what happens tomorrow! I'd like to be able to keep at least one, but I suppose they'd be happier together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by