What do I have?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nsavino, Jun 11, 2016.

1. nsavino

nsavino New Egg

Jun 5, 2016
    Columbia, TN
    [​IMG]

Just got these little ones from a local market. I don't know what they are but they are my first.

2. Spyderk117

Spyderk117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Mallard on the left, and maybe Khaki Campbell on the right.

3. nsavino

nsavino New Egg

Jun 5, 2016
    Columbia, TN
    Any chance they might be rouens?

4. Spyderk117

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    No sorry.

5. nsavino

nsavino New Egg

Jun 5, 2016
    Columbia, TN
    That's ok. I don't have any preference since I'm new to this. Any advice you have for me? What do you like about them?

6. Spyderk117

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I own three Mallards. What I like about them is their personality and thier stirking colors when they are adults, And that they can fly it's so much fun watching them![​IMG] I'm not the best about advice but you should check out this book. Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks it's a really good book. It covers the baiscs about caring for your ducks. Good luck![​IMG]

[​IMG] Here are my Mallards![​IMG] This is them when they were 1 week old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  7. Hrairoo

Hrairoo Chillin' With My Peeps

one bit of advice: they grow fast. be prepared. also they are messy as all heck, I suggest you have a tray or rack (like a cooling tray for bread) raised up for their water to sit on, or else they will have the soggiest bedding ever

8. Spyderk117

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    You might want to make somthing like this I call it a water catcher. So when they drink water instead of the water falling on the bedding it falls in the pan. But you do have empty the pan alot though.
    [​IMG]

9. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Are they the same age? The one on the right looks like a Swedish. If they are the same age I don't think the one on the left is a Mallard, it would be a Rouen. A Mallard wouldn't be bigger than a Swedish.

10. nsavino

nsavino New Egg

Jun 5, 2016
    Columbia, TN
    I don't think they are the same age. I wish I knew more about them. The lady had all ages in there. The one on the right was the smallest, I got him/her cause I was scared it would get squished. It's probably a week old. The other one, on the left is almost twice it's size and I'm guessing it's 2/3 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by