What do I have ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by monathequeen, Jul 19, 2010.

1. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    I bought seven ducklings about four months ago. Thay are now full grown.
    My three Pekins are different in size. One is as big as the other three adults I have had for four years now. The two other pekins and Rouen are very, very small.....they are beautiful but never grew as big as the others....why are they so small in size ?
    ? I cannot post pictures. don't have a camers.
    Thanks Anyone......

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Many breeds are available in bantam size now. Perhaps yours are bantams.

3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Where did you get them?

Is it possible that your other two Pekins are actually hatchery-quality White Runners, and the Rouens are Mallards? Or maybe even White and Gray (Mallard-colored) Calls? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2010
  4. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    Thanks, I got them at Orchlens...a farming supply store.
    I buy all of my poltry and ducks there.
    I kind of thought they may be bannys but I've never seen or heard of banny pekins. They're really cute and they love to fly ...I have them in a covered run naturally.
    I love the softness of their feathers and they are so Perfect in shape. I LOVE the way they look. Sleek !!

The Rouen is definetely a hen. She is the same exact size of the bannys.
    My other new Rouen is a Drake and is much larger.
    My problem with them being so small is they get a whackin from the drakes....I hate to seperate them and God help me if I will have to. I HATE having to seperate any of my animals. I think they should all live and play together but It's not possible when they get beat up.....I will have to find some pic's of a banny Pekin....

They could be white-runners but I don't know what white-runners look like. I doubt the Rouen is a Mallard. but who knows ? I've only had Kakki Campbels, Rouens and Pekins... I guess I should get a book of pictures and compare them...any suggestions on a good book ? Thanks again. Ray

5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know if they have white mallards, but no pekin I've ever heard of can fly...

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I was thinking the same about flying pekins. Perhaps it is a white call duck.

7. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    chickensducks&agoose :

I don't know if they have white mallards, but no pekin I've ever heard of can fly...

Actually, there are White Mallards...the place I got my Mallards from had White Mallards too - the guy even gave me a runty one for free so that it didn't end up being trampled, but it died the night that I brought it home. [​IMG]

Here's a good website to look at duck pictures by breed, monathequeen: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/BRKDucks.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by