What do I have?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Crickett B, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Crickett B

Crickett B Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    I just started my addiction to chickens and in less than 3 weeks I am now up to 18.
    My daughter brought me a few that I have no clue what they are. I hope that some of you can help me out.

[​IMG]
    I call this one No Butt Feathers. I think it's a hen. Though the place where my daughter bought her from, told her she was a rooster. When I got her, she was completely plucked of feathers so bad that she was bleeding. Now she is starting to grow the feathers back. I have no clue what she is.She pretty much stays off to herself, but she comes to me when I call, as I am always feeding her grasshoppers. The other chickens still tend to pick on her, but not as bad as she has 5 acres to escape to safety on now

[​IMG]
    This one I just call Evil Chicken at the moment.

[​IMG]
    This is Henrietta. Her and Evil Chicken are inseperable.

[​IMG]
    This one is Buffy. She also was plucked of her tail feathers, but not near as bad as No Butt Feathers was. She tries to fit in more with the two Barred Rock pair I have and the next I will post. They all seem to have a mini flock of their own.

[​IMG]
    Goldie hangs out with the Barred Rock rooster and hen

[​IMG]
    Isabeau is the other hen which hangs out with the Barred Rock pair
    Goldie and Isabeau have the oddest colored feet. They are like black/green/yellow all muted together.

I also have the barred rock rooster(Damien) and hen(Ms. Henny Penny), a frizzled polish rooster (King Nanner) a baby silkie rooster (Liberace) a cochin rooster (Joseph) a silver laced wyandotte hen (Sith) and then I have 5 more babies (2 more silver laced wyandotte hens - I hope, and two more barred rock hens - I hope. I sure don't need any more roosters:D
    Thank you for any help with figuring out what the girls above are.
    Crickett

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    #1 is a rooster, I have one that looks just like him. I'm assuming it's a sex-link of sorts. They are probably picking on him since he looks to be young (5-ish months)
    #2 looks like a white rock
    #3 & #4 are red sex-link hens
    #5 is an EE (easter egger)
    #6 looks like a black sex-link hen

3. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I agree with shelley, except that I think #2 may be a leghorn. Not sure though. I haven't had any white chickens. 3 and 4 are red sex links, 5 is an EE, and 6 is a black sex link.

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I thought so too on #2 but it looks to have red earlobes (aka rock [​IMG])

5. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    Henrietta looks exactly like my Red Star pullet
    Goldie is an EE gal

Great names!

6. Crickett B

Crickett B Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Wow, ya'll are quick! Thank you.
    Yes, Evil chicken has red ears.
    Now on Isabeau (#6), to me, her and Goldie look the same, just different colors. They both have the wierd looking feet, and remind me of hawks in the face.

uh oh, No Butt Feathers IS a rooster? How many hens do I need for 5 roosters? My daughter was told that Damien and No Butt Feathers were under 6 months, but Damien is HUGE. All the roosters get along, except King Nanner, the frizzled polish. He chases Joseph (the cochin) all around the property. Damien just avoids him, the silkie is too small to run loose at the moment. And No Butt Feathers keeps to himself. So I have had to banish Nanner to a pen of his own.

Crickett

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Weird feet? How so? #5 (goldie) is an EE because of her muffs and beard (puffy cheeks). #6 doesn't have those.

ETA: Yes, no butt feathers is a roo, you need at least 5 girls for every boy in bantams, 8-10 for LF. But you can keep some of the boys seperate, or make seperate pens for the boys (think 5 pens) and have 2-3 girls each that way. If you have them all together you'd need 30-40 hens so no one gets overworked or picked on too badly [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  8. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    EEs don't always have muffs and beards. I'm guessing she another EE. You'll know when she starts laying

9. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:You work FAST. Three weeks, and you're already up to eighteen.

10. Sweetpeaswan

Sweetpeaswan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Wow:ya Think Shelly nailed it!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by