1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do I have?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cjsgrlsx3, Aug 21, 2011.

1. cjsgrlsx3

cjsgrlsx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    I have just picked up some more hens and a rooster (I think) and wanted some help to identify them! What do you think? Breed guessing would be nice also! Darn, once I figure out how to post photos, I will be closer to knowing what I have!

2. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
    [​IMG]

Hope this worked!

3. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
    32 views and no replies! I wonder what it is!

4. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I'm new to chickens so I can't guess, but shes pretty. Looks like you have a busy rooster, though, from the backs of your other girls.

5. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
    The hens are actually molting. I was told that the grey one is a rooster and was hatched this past Spring. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on if it is a rooster of hen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  6. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    I think the gray one is a boy, it seems the hackle feathers are rather pointed. Even if your girls are molting, they have been well "loved". After they get their feathers, aprons might protect them next year. My hens look like that, and I had a feather picker and they are gently but well loved.

7. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
    lol "Well Loved" So I do have a rooster then. He is young so I believe he is not the one that has done the deed with these girls. Will their feathers grow back and become normal? Do you have an idea on what kind they are?

8. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    The blue one looks a bit like a Blue Orpington, but his type is not quite right. Maybe a mixed breed. It is a rooster.

9. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
    [​IMG]

What about this little lady?

10. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Definitely a mixed breed hen. I'm not good at guessing which breeds are mixed in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by