What do I have???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chica Lady, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Chica Lady

Chica Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    When I got the chicks, I was told that they were Orpingtons. Except the black one, he wasn;t sure what it was. I think it's going to be something ornamental because of the chubby cheeks and chin. The grown ones were given to me on Friday, and I have no idea what they are. So, what do I have?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    The chicks don't look like Orpingtons. Are they mixed breeds or from a hatchery?

3. Chica Lady

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    They are from a local chicken farm. We drove there, only about 10 mins from where we live. There were chickens everywhere. The man hatches chickens to sell. He has a sign and a small cage with chicks at the gas station. We called and went to pick them up. The batch we picked from was probably about 50 chicks under a large lamp.

4. Chica Lady

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    Still wondering what they are.... I would also like to know what the hen and rooster are, also.

Thanx

5. Chica Lady

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    I am more concerned about the older ones. I know it's difficult to breed or sex the chicks.

6. 1 lucky dad

1 lucky dad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    West Farmington,ohio
    Rooster looks like a cuckoo marans.

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    barred rock rooster (marans have white/pink legs) and i have no clue on the hen possable game or game mix

8. Chica Lady

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    you can't tell from the picture above, but the rooster has purple and green highlights on the side feathers. Here are some better pics where you can see the coloring better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your hen is a game bird. Scrappy little things, they're known for being great foragers and mothers. Usually not the friendliest bird in your coop, but won't get picked on by larger birds, either, unless she's broody.
    Your barred rooster is probably a black sex link, meaning his momma was a barred rock and his daddy was non-barred. He may be hatchery quality pure barred rock, but they're usually a lot lighter. He's pretty dark overall and his barring is pretty messy, not nice and crisp, making me think he's a mix.

Your yellow chicks aren't buff orps, they're feathering in more like some red --production/new hampshire/etc. Could also be red sex links. And I can't see your dark bird, but the puffy cheeks tells me it may be an easter egger. Post more pics of the babies in 4 weeks or so, we'll be able to give you better info then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by