What do I have??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dogwoodcreek, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Dogwoodcreek

Dogwoodcreek New Egg

Apr 16, 2012
    Monticello, AR
    Hello all, I am new to raising chicks and am just now starting my backyard flock. I have learned a lot already from this website! Thanks for all the great content and discussion.

I was recently given a few chicks that were hatched from a mixed bag of hatching eggs. The person who gave me the chicks did not know what they are and neither do I. I have looked on this site and other locations online and have a few thoughts as to what I have but I'd like to get others opinions.

[​IMG]

Unknown Bantam Chick 1. I have two of these little guys.

[​IMG]

Unknown chick 2. I also have two of these chicks. Standard sized.

[​IMG]

Unknown Bantam chick 3. Probably my favorite!! He is way fast! After taking this photo I had to chase him all over my shed to get him back to the brooder.

Any hints or suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Michael

2. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    The second one looks like and australorp, I don't know about the other 2 though.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    last might be ancona second looks like an australrop and does the first have 5 toes? maybe a silkie mix

4. Dogwoodcreek

Dogwoodcreek New Egg

Apr 16, 2012
    Monticello, AR
    I will have to check on hon many toes the first one has.

Australorp was one thought I had on the second chick.

If it helps any these chicks are about 2 weeks old.

Thanks!

5. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Hi, Michael. Boy, you are really getting into the chicken thing, aren't you? Soon you'll be a BYC addict! lol

I think Silkie mix is a good guess on the top one if it has 5 toes. Or, it could just be a mix with Cochin and something else. It will feather out smooth feathered, not Silkie-like. The other chicks could be mixes as well given where they came from. That bottom one is for sure a rooster and maybe the second one, too.

6. Dogwoodcreek

Dogwoodcreek New Egg

Apr 16, 2012
    Monticello, AR
    Julie, yes I am really enjoying the chickens. I must admit that I am already a BYC addict as I've been reading the info here for the past year. Just now taking the time to post. I hope to have my coop finished by the first of next week.

I checked the 1st chick at lunch. As I said, I have 2 of them. One has orange feet and the other gray. They do have 4 toes however.

7. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Okay, well I'd say they are Cochins or cochin mixes, then. They will be cute little chickens. That first one does look like a pullet right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by