What do I have?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jvp0719, Dec 17, 2012.

1. jvp0719

jvp0719 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2012
    Dutchess County, NY
    I move my Coop & Run weekly. Every time I move it, the next morning, I have a hole, about 6 inches away from the coop, about 2-3 inches wide. It tunnels into the coop and inside, I have a mound of loose dirt. I thought it was a mouse, but I think the hole is too large and I am not sure they would push all that dirt in the coop. I thought maybe a rat but we typically don't have rats by me, not to say there are none.....

No chickens are harmed, but it seems that whatever it is, is enjoying my Organic Feed..... Also, only seems to be occurring at night.

So, I am wondering if anyone has any thought on what I have, also, how to prevent/get rid of it.

Thanks

2. Double Laced

Double Laced Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Yorkshire
    Rats.They vary in size from gerbil to chinchilla size and like chicken food.

3. jvp0719

Aug 2, 2012
    Dutchess County, NY
    They will tunnel like this and deposit the dirt in a pile on the inside of the coop?

4. lilhippiemomma

lilhippiemomma Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    I've been having the same problem! I've set up traps, but haven't caught anything.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree - sounds like a rat.

What kind of traps are you setting, lilhippiemomma?

6. lilhippiemomma

lilhippiemomma Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    I've been alternatively using havaheart traps and old fashioned spring-loaded rat traps. I've also been letting my cat that thinks she's a chicken into the coop at night. She has actaully managed to get mice and voles, but no rat thus far.

7. patvetzal

patvetzal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Bancroft, Ontario
    Around here those holes would have been made by a chipmunk. No danger to chickens but they will carry away a whole pile of food.....

8. jvp0719

Aug 2, 2012
    Dutchess County, NY
    I am really getting annoyed at the food disappearing and also worried about eggs. They should start laying in the next month.

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Maybe remove the feed in the evenings (and collect all eggs before night fall, when they start laying), that might encourage whatever it is to find food somewhere else? I've heard of rats removing birds toes, so I'd be wanting to get rid of them. Search "bucket trap" and give that a go, since your thief seems to be food motivated. Good luck!

10. babsbag

babsbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    Anderson, CA
    I would say mole, vole, gopher, or ground squirrel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by