What do I need done, and ready to show my first bird?

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
Ok, I have signed up to show one of my silkies at the state fair this year. He's a sweet boy and he's gorgeous. Though, last year I was not impressed with the other birds I saw at all.

So, What types of treatments should I give him, shots and such. Where can I get them so I know he's protected around the other birds?

Also, does he need to be registered?

What kind of cage and size should I have? I have a dog kennel, completely open bar style, not the carrier, that is a good size 2 1/2' x 2', will that work?
This is the NC State fair... there site is hard to navigate for answers sometimes (plus the site with the sign up info has been down for days).

the birds don't need shots, they need to be pullorium tested. either a tester comes to the farm or they test at the fair. ( they draw blood from under the wing)

the show will have a cage for you

you need to take a feeder and waterer, some places provide them some don't.

the bird needs to be entered inthe show usually a couple of weeks before the show.

bathe the bird 4 days before the show so he can refluff

after the show keep him away from the rest of your flock for two weeks after the show.

there are some great threads on this just search for them

have fun
big_smile.png

Thank you! I have him already signed up, the show is in October. I will be responsible to feed and water him each day, so I've got a lot of driving to do. I just want to make sure he stays healthy, I've become quite attached to him.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom