1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do I need to create a great yard for 4 pekin ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DaffyDuck100, Jan 24, 2014.

1. DaffyDuck100

DaffyDuck100 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2014
    Hi,
    I'm soon going to purchase 4 pekin ducks and I have a yard about 5 x 8 m yard for them. What do I need to set up for them.
    eg. a mini pond, do I need a water "trough" for them or will they drink from the pond? Do they need a food bucket with food in it all the time or do I scatter the food around the yard? grass or straw? ect.
    Things like that
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    They do need a pond, but a child's rigid paddling pool will do as long as they can get in and out easily. You might want to make a ramp or arrange bricks to make a slope for them. They will need a house of some sort to put them away at night when predators are more active. This can be a garden shed or a duck house, or you can build your own if you are handy. lots of ideas on this site for houses. They will need a trough for drinking water, but a washing up bowl is as good and cheaper. You should empty, rinse and refill it every day and any time it looks manky. Food is best served in enamel bowls and less wasteful. Plentiful straw or shavings for their bedding and you are set up.

1 person likes this.
  3. DaffyDuck100

Jan 22, 2014
    Thank you! I'll get everything set up now!
    Do you think I could buy some worms and put them throughout the yard so the ducks can wonder around and dig them up.
    I have a small A framed house for them but it's not very big. Does the house have to be big or can it just be a small place to go to at night? In the yard there is just dirt, should u try planting grass or should I place straw around the place?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    DaffyDuck100, so pleased you are thinking ahead. [​IMG]

Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks has great information on this, too. And the archives here are full of a variety of good setups.

Here are some things I did.

A little tiny bit of slope so that water runs off, but does not make gullies.
    Chopped straw and-or leaves on the ground, those will form compost with the duck poop and draw worms that they can forage for.
    Concrete mixing pan (heavy duty plastic, about 2'x3' and 8" tall) for swimming, with a shallow channel on the other side of the fence so you can dump the pan and the water runs down into a garden.
    My friend with Pekins says put the swim pan in a hole so they don't have to jump in or out, that will reduce the risk of sprains and breaks since their legs are their weak spot.

uh oh…..just checked the time… . I have to go do something - will be back.

[​IMG]

5. DaffyDuck100

Jan 22, 2014
    Ok cool [​IMG]

6. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    A small house is fine if they are only going to be there overnight. Some people have them in sheds and then if the weather is bad, they can stay inside. My ducks are in fairly small duck houses but only overnight, they are let out every morning. When the weather is very rainy I put straw down in their pens to keep the mud under control.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by