What do I need to do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tlbirdsmisty, Jan 28, 2015.

1. tlbirdsmisty

tlbirdsmisty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2015
    I have two roosters that are aggressive so I had to separate them. Well yesterday thw pen blew over one of their pens and they wire fought for God knows how long. Poor babies... One is my very favorite and they both look pretty bad. I'm so scared. How will I know if they are alright? These are like my children. My husband said they should be fine but I'm worried sick! Any suggestions on what I can do to make them comfortable or to help them heal?

2. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Roosters tend to fight. Sounds like your roosters are normal rather than aggressive. If they were attacking you I would call them aggressive. You can clean off the blood and treat their cuts but for the most part they will heal on their own.

3. tlbirdsmisty

Jan 19, 2015
    They are real bad their heads are swollen n blood us coming out ones mouth!!! I been crying all night n day for my babies! One cut his neck on wire!!

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    How many hens do you have to go with those two roosters? The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens, so unless you have at least 20 hens, I would get rid of one of those roosters. Otherwise, fighting is going to be an ongoing problem.

6. tlbirdsmisty

Jan 19, 2015
    They have 12 hens between the two. But one rooster is just alittle boy. Not even a year old. He looks like he will make it but the one who cut his neck on wire seems to be struggling. I love him n don't have the heart to put him down. Its been since tuesday night but his breathing is very funny since his neck is hurt. Should I get some one to cull him or wait this out. I got him on electrolites n antibiotics. But he won't eat or drink. I don't want to mess with him too much while he's healing.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    With only 12 hens, I would cull him. The major point in having a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in that regard. Culling him will solve a lot of problems for you down the road.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by