What do I need to know about hatching copper maran eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lorrir, Nov 12, 2010.

1. lorrir

lorrir Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Upstate SC
    I just received 12 copper maran eggs in the mail. I think I read somewhere that they need different temps and more humidity I can't find the link.

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Days 1 - 18 @ 99.5 - 100.5 F and 45 % humidity (using a fan)
    Days 19 - 21 @ same temps and 65% humidity (using a fan)

3. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    contact the person you bought the eggs from and see what they recommend - - -it should be close to what I just suggested.

Buzz over and visit the marans thread . . . We love to see baby chick pictures too!

Good luck with the hatch.

4. lorrir

Jun 19, 2009
    Upstate SC
    Thanks, I was just double checking, I did read most of the 48 pages on the maran thread before I asked. LOL. I thought I read somewhere that because the shells where darker they were thicker and therefore needed more humidity or higher temps.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yes, I'd check with the breeder that sold them to you. I have some coming in the mail just prior to Dec. 11 for my New Year's Day Hatch along. I think my breeder said that because of the extra thickness in the shell (that extra layer of dark) that she recommended a LOWER humidity for the first 18 days (35%) so as to add in evaporation and to give the chick the room it needs to get out. I could be wrong!... but that's what I think she said.

During last years New Years Day Hatch I had 18 eggs shipped from East Texas to Arizona. of the 18, only 2 didn't develop, due I'm certain, to the POs rough handling and out of the 16 at lockdown, 11 hatched. 5 were fully formed and just didn't get out of the shell. I kept 4 pullets and 1 roo and rehomed the other 6 because I didn't feel they properly conformed to standard.

This year I'll be doing the same as I have had much better luck doing a dry hatch. Days 1-18 at 35% and then 65%to 70% at lockdown.

Good Luck!

6. lorrir

Jun 19, 2009
    Upstate SC
    Did get a PM back from the breeder. They indicated a lower humidity too. Thanks

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have hatched a lot of Marans eggs (both my own and shipped) with good hatch rates and I don't do anything different for them. Same temps and humidity that I do my other eggs at. The fact that they are shipped will have much more bearing on your hatch rate than anything else.

8. lorrir

Jun 19, 2009
    Upstate SC
    I actually count on the fact that I won't get a 100% hatch rate. I have the "more is better" disease and a lower hatch rate compensates for my illness. Chicken math.

9. Jackie B.

Jackie B. Paris Mtn. Eggs

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Lorir, Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Greenville near Furman. Where are you?

-Jackie

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:ditto. I do not do anything differently than all the other eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by