what do i need to know about keeping duckies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kinnip, Dec 12, 2008.

1. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I'm ordering some Khaki Campbell eggs and I need to know what I need to know. Can they free range and live with the guineas at night, or should they stay with the chickens in the coop and run? Can they eat the same Flock Raiser and Layena mix I feed the others? Is a kiddie pool sufficient for their watery needs? What kind of sleeping arrangements do they prefer? How do I persuade them to lay in a box, or do I just let them choose the spot and try to keep it safe? Anything else you can think of will be helpful.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Khaki Campbells should be fine with a kiddie pool.

3. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    My ducks free range during the day then they share a coop with my chickens at night. They don't seem to have any problems. They also eat the same food as the chickens, but they mostly forage and love to eat scratch grain. They normally lay their eggs on the coop floor in one of the corners or by the pond. I tried making a nest but they prefer not to use it because they are stubborn.

4. kinnip

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Thanks. Do they just snuggle up on the floor of the coop, or do they prefer something raised?

5. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    no the usually nestle together on the floor

6. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:agree---all my ducks free range and just nestle right on the floor at night. They go right in the barn at dusk right along with the chickens. They LOVE kiddie pools, but just be careful and monitor them while they're young as they can drown easily and have trouble when they're young getting out of the pool. Once they get a bit bigger, they can get in and out of the kiddie pool with no problems! [​IMG] They're messy little buggers but we LOVE them SO much!!! [​IMG]

One more VERY important note--DO NOT give them medicated chicke feed. It will kill them. Ducks need to be on non-medicated starter chick/duck feed.

7. kinnip

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Speaking of feeding time, it occurs to me that they might have difficulty using conventional feeders and waterers, what with the big bill and all. Do I need bowls?

8. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Good luck with the Khakis, they are so much fun.

The only advice I have to add is that they are extremely messy, messier than you can imagine, so keeping them with chickens is not a good idea. When my ducklings were in their brooder coop I had to put down fresh shavings every day because they made such a mess with their water.

As for the feed, I feed mine the same thing I feed the chickens. Right now they are on non-medicated starter, and I cut the starter with oats to lower the protein level. When they reach point of lay I'll switch them to layer.

Ducklings will be fine with regular chick feeders and waterers, as they get older you can switch to bowls. I have a small rubber bowl for feed and a large rubber bowl for water.

9. kinnip

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Thanks again folks. One more question... well that's probably not true, but it's the only one I have right now. Do they still like to swim in the winter? I don't want frozen ducks.
    ETA: I'm not building them a heated pool. I have to draw the line somewhere.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  10. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Well, when they're young, they don't need to swim that much and maybe once a week I let them get a little swim/bath with luke warm water in the bathtub. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by