what do i need to know about pheasents????????????

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by eggcochin_freak5, Jun 26, 2008.

1. eggcochin_freak5

eggcochin_freak5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Georgia
    I am looking into getting some pheasents....just a pair for right now,but some people are telling me the males are super aggressive with their hens. [​IMG] and i would probably have to keep them separated.....does anybody have pheasents and what else do i need to know to have these birds??? [​IMG]

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I have Pheasants! Just regular ringnecks. The ringnecks tend to be a little bit more aggresive than most breeds of pheasant. It depends what species pair you have. The ornamentel pheasant (Golden, Lady Amherst, Silver, Reeves, etc.) seem to be not as aggresive with their mates. I know for one ringneck pheasant cockbird you should have 5-7 hens with him. He can pick them bare and it may get bloody. They also need space. For a pair, if they are ringnecks, you should allow 20-30 sq. feet. The more the better. A 10'x10' wpuld be good as well. hope this helps!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  3. eggcochin_freak5

May 27, 2008
    Georgia
    :eek: well thanks......i might just have to invest in a pair [​IMG]

4. Kramer Farms

Kramer Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Provide obstacles for the hens to get away from the males. You can give them perches for the hens, and trim the flight feathers the males. Don't pinion them just trim the feathers back a little. That way the hens can fly up and get away from the males. As always with any birds the more room the better.

Good Luck and enjoy.
    Jason

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    THe only thing with trying to catch the cockbirds is...they can and will spur you! :eek:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  6. eggcochin_freak5

May 27, 2008
    Georgia
    can you cut their spurs?

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I wouldn't It could cause them to bleed to death. Just wear work gloves and a good carhartt jacket.

8. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    yea my hens look pretty beat up. I have 2 to 4 hens per rooster.

9. eggcochin_freak5

May 27, 2008
    Georgia
    gosh looks like im gonna have more trouble with these things attackin me then i have with my bantam roo.....[​IMG]........it should be fun though

10. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    They won't attack you if you have space. What kind of pheasant are they?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by