What do I need?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coloradowildflower, Mar 14, 2017.

1. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    Hatch day is next week, but I live 3 hours (round trip) from the nearest farm store. I'll be making a trip there in the next couple of evenings, and I need to know what I should have on hand for hatching and the first week of brooding! I have the brooder, extra bulbs, a chick feeder and waterer, but please help me make my shopping list for anything else: chick emergency supplies? First aid stuff? What do you keep on hand for hatch and early brooding?

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    The list of stuff you should have is not limited to this, but heres some stuff off the top of my head:
    Chick crumbles
    bedding
    olive oil and Q-tips and paper towels (For pasty butt)
    band aids or whatever you want to use in case one has spraddle leg or curled toes
    A camera of some sort to take pictures ;)
    I might think of some other stuff later
    Some people like to have some kind of wound spray or ointment, but for our 6 chicks we got along without it fine
    maybe some Vaseline for wounds, if there are any

1 person likes this.
  3. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Good luck and have fun with your new chicks!!

1 person likes this.
  4. coloradowildflower

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    Thank you so much! How about Sav-a-chick? Does anyone use that? And I've heard of Poly-vi-sol, should I get that too? (So exciting and nerve-wracking!)

5. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Never heard of either of them [​IMG]
    Usually, things go pretty well. We had one chick with splayed leg, and we got it fixed up and everything was fine. A lot of worrying over something so small, though. You don't need a lot of fancy products, usually everything works out well. Post pictures when they hatch!!!
    Best of luck,
    -M

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I use sav a chick electrolyte in my water for the first 2-3 days after hatch. Poly vi sol is nice to have on hand, nutri drench is another many people keep on hand. I would have either Vaseline or neosporin non pain relief in case it's needed to keep membranes moist in instances of assists if you are inclined to assist. Q-tips. Of course starter crumbles and bedding. Vet wrap. Or comparative aids for spraddle leg/curled toes as mentioned.

While often extras won't be needed, it's always good to have them on hand especially if you are no where near a place to get them in case of emergency.

7. coloradowildflower

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    Thanks so much AmyLynn. Got all the supplies. Now I guess I just have to endure the wait!!!

8. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Just make sure that your brooder is going to be large enough to allow for a 'cool' zone.

10. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The wait is the worst! Lol Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by