1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Do I Not Understand About Corn Scratch?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cabincrazyone, Jan 21, 2011.

1. cabincrazyone

cabincrazyone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    I've seen a few references to finely ground corn as scratch. Wouldn't that disappear into whatever type of bedding you have on the coop floor? Or if it's thrown on a bare dirt run isn't it too fine for a chicken to pick up one tiny grain at a time?
    I picture finely ground corn looking like corn meal for humans, is that where I'm going wrong?
    I can see cracked corn as scratch. That makes perfect sense.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Ground? No, that isn't scratch. My scratch is actually an 11-grain rooster feed that has whole kernal corn and the smaller popcorn, no cracked or especially ground. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    wow speckledhen, that looks tasty to ME, lol

4. speckledhen

It's a good mix, for sure. It was 13% protein, then they began adding quite a bit more whole kernal corn and lowered it to 12%, but it's the only feed my crippled rooster eats (he is in a separate cage by himself).

5. cabincrazyone

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    OKay, thanks. That means I'm correct in thinking that ground corn is too fine to throw around.

6. speckledhen

It's also quite dusty so you might have a bunch of sneezing birds if you did!

7. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    I feed that game blend to my breeding trios and cracked corn scratch in evening to my laying flock and other birds. But all my laying birds have layer pellets available.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  8. sunnyvera

sunnyvera Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Quote:That stuff looks gorgeous. TSC sells scratch that I thought was scratch, but is way smaller pieces. Where did you get yours? Even our local feed store has the little pieces. YIKES, my girls would love that stuff.

9. cabincrazyone

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    I read in another thread about folks who mix their own .... boss, cracked corn and other stuff. Cheaper to buy individually in bulk and you can give 'em exactly what you want to, but it takes a few minutes to mix and not everyone has time to spare.

10. sunnyvera

sunnyvera Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Did you mix that up yourself? I am sure it is not from TSC. Please share.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by