What do people do with mini horses?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by domromer, Jun 18, 2008.

1. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    My neighbors have 2 horses that are the size of Great Danes. They often lean over my fence to say hello. They like to have there noses rubbed. My question is what do people do with mini horses? Are they just for petting? Can they be used for some sort of tasks? Are they just pets? Are they expensive?

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

It varies on their pricing. I've seen some for $50 and some that are more than $25k prices depending on their breeding. To be registered AMHR, they must be under 36", I believe.

They show, breed, pull mini carts (or sleighs) but most of them are just pets. Expensive to keep up pets. [​IMG]

Thanks,

~Heather

3. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    They have classes where they can be show in-hand like trail and over jumps. Plus they can do driving classes. I've even seen some of the larger ones have smaller children ride them. Plus, people just have them as pets.

4. Chickending

Chickending Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Minnesota
    I have known people who have used them for carts, they are very strong animals and can pull some weight. I had a neighbor who used his pair to help him do chores and haul wood, bales of hay. You can used them for some light duty hauling but otherwise they are pretty much lawn ornaments.

5. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    They are not lawn ornaments! [​IMG] We show outs, in hand and they also drive. They pull little carts. We have more fun with the minis most time than riding our fullsized horses. They are VERY pricey, don't let their lack of height fool you. LOL

6. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Wow, sounds kind of like my dogs but with much higher vet bills.

They are cute though. I was surprised how nice and soft there noses are. Sounds like I get the better end of the deal. I can pet them and talk to them but don't have to pay the vet bills or have a acre of pasture. Is it ok to feed them strawberries?

I'd ask my neighbor but I never see them.

7. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    LOL Our mini is the cheapest thing to feed that we have on our property! He goes through 50 lbs of feed a month and one flake of grass hay a day. His usual vet costs are under $200 a year. Much like a dog [​IMG]. We do our own hoof trimming, so that cuts that expense, too.

Strawberries are fine in small amounts. They'll also love carrots, apples, star mints...even bananas (peel and all). You should have permission from the owners, however, before feeding them. It would be terrible to be responsible for a choke.

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Some people who have only one horse get a mini-horse to keep the first horse company.

9. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    PLEASE PLEASE don't feed a horse of any size that doesn't belong to you! SERIOUSLY, they could have an allergy or founder. Minis are VERY easy keeps and often need diets never high sugared fruits.

10. Chickending

Chickending Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Minnesota
    I used to have one that would never stay in the fence, electric and all, wanted to be free. She was an old mini mare I rescued. So after I dont know how many times she escaped we finally just let her roam the yard. We called her affectionately our "yard ornament". She would always stay in the yard and never left. Her name was Joy. People would stop by and say "do you know one of your horses are loose?" the answer always was, "yep we know, she likes it that way......." She was my free range horse.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by