What do people mean by "it's animal cruelty to dye a chicken"?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Moochie, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Is it really animal cruelty?
    Gee I hope no cops or animal control officers catch my BO with the pink in her feathers. [​IMG]

Seriously though, does it actually bother the chicken? I think if the bird was dyed with a chemical dye, oh heck yes it would bother the bird. Kool-aid is a good dye though, and food coloring.
    Maybe it depends on the chicken, I've known my chickens longer than anyone else has, so it's not really anyone's say if it's cruelty or unfair to the bird.
    What do you think?

I know that silkies are a breed that is used for dying, alot. If I had a white silkie I would create a heart in the feathers using kool-aid. [​IMG]

2. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    King County Washington Ordinance:

11.20.010 Age restriction for disposition or coloration. It is unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to sell, offer for sale, barter or give away any fowl under three weeks of age or any rabbit under two months of age as a pet, toy, premium or novelty, or to color, dye, stain or otherwise change the natural color of any such fowl or rabbit. (Res. 30346 ยง 1, 1965).

3. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I dyed my white silkies, and as soon as the grange fair is over, I will dye another one. Mine don't seem to care, and as long as it isn't red... we are good. I had a purple naked neck silkie, and blue bearded silkie... and I plan to do it again. My silkies love baths... and that is all it is to them. They love warm water, they love being blown dry... I don't see the issue. I would never do anything to hurt them, they are pampered beyond belief... and I don't parade them arournd for all to see. They are part of our family and I like it that way. (Oh, and yes, I would dye a family members hair pink if they wanted... I don't descriminate [​IMG])

[​IMG]

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    In many places it's illegial to do so. There's a long history of chicks being dyed at easter time, sold off and then dying because unlike hampsters you can't stick a chick in a cage without a light etc. So many places added dyed birds to thier animal cruelity lists.

5. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Yeah, I think this is a case of some spoil it for all. If you know what you are doing and you are coloring your own chickens safely, I dont see a prob. But if you are a retail operation and you are dying animals to sell them for a holiday I think it is wrong.

6. nobodyherebutuschickens

nobodyherebutuschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Erie, Colorado
    I understand that selling chicks (or any other beastie, for that matter) as a novelty item to inexperienced/unprepared/unsuspecting buyers is NOT a good idea and unfair to the bird, but in your own flock and just for fun if they don't mind at all doesn't seem like it's so bad. You'd think that it would be less comfortable for them to wear "clothing". At least when it's dyed it's still their own feathers.

7. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Quote:x2

8. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Dyeing a chick or chicken will NOT hurt the chick/chicken and is not cruel. The laws to stop dyeing chicks have been made because of the selling of the 'novelty' chicks at Easter. What happens to them afterwards because they don't stay 'cute' is what is cruel. By outlawing the dyeing of the chicks they hope to prevent this cruelty. Besides 90% of the chicks that are sold dyed are roosters. Hatcheries use Red Sexlink Cockerels as the 'disposable' toys. The law is just really wide in what it covers.

No one is going to come after you for dyeing you own chicken that you have as a pet. Selling of the chicks is what is illegal.

Matt

9. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I wouldn't do it because it kind of seems creepy to me, but I certainly wouldn't call it animal cruelty, and there shouldn't be any laws against doing it (except for prior mention of retail holiday chick sales).

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:Oh god, I think I broke a rib laughing at that showgirl!!!!! heeheehee! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by