What do people NOT show?!?!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cariboujaguar, Feb 19, 2009.

1. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    I show and breed goats, obviously people here show chickens, just read about someone breeding and showing guiney pigs!!! just curious what other possibly odd (not meant to offend) animals people show??? 10 years ago I thought dogs and horses were the only animals people showed and spent tons of money on... so share with us what you show, how much you've spent on an animal(if you're comfortable with that) how much you've seen animals go for etc... I think this will be interesting...

so with goats the most expensive doe I've had was $1200... I've seen them go for $8500... people drive all over the USA to show them... we spend a pretty penny on our animals yearly despite making our own hay, goats are hard to keep fat LOL

2. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Fish... Lol. I tried to get into showing bettas, but couldn't ever get the brats to spawn (I could spawn petstore bettas though!). Overall, spent $500-$1,000 on the fish alone. Most I've spent on ONE fish? Eh, I don't know, but I have seen some bettas go for a few hundred per fish.

3. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    I tried to breed bettas too so I could show them, imported them from other countrys, never got a single one to spawn, most I paid for one was 120 or something like that. I know people show rats and mice too. Id like to show my rabbits but they are not that unusual. They also show ferrets and skunks.

4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Lol. I had several imports (my favorite imports were the symetrical plakats), as well as several US fish, so I know the feeling. Did you ever spawn petstore bettas? They were easy... Lol.

I didn't know that there were skunk shows, how neat!

5. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    well of course, my Oscars loved my test breedings...lol

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Pet rats and Pet skunks. we no longer have the skunk (long story involving cruelty and a law enforcement officer) lpus we have the girls now so they would not get along. LOL

7. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    I know my mom just went to a fish show in Florida. And I know that there are Koi shows??

8. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I could be wrong but I bet opossum shows do not exist.

9. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    My grandmother had a pet skunk [​IMG] They're so cute! I had no idea people were willing to pay good money for fish LOL what a boring show, set down a fish bowl, step back the end LOL Fish are pretty but not worth the trouble to me... and how would you drive with them? I could just imagine spilling my $1000 fish oh my goodness!

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    A beautiful betta is like a beautiful flower...

People also show flowers and bonsai trees! And there are contests for vegetables that have been harvested!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by