What do pregnant women like to here?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Corey NC, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I just found out my instructor is pregnant and I am super excited for her. She is a really awesome person and this will be her first baby. I want to be supportive and know whats happening with the baby but I don't want to be nosey or overbearing.

So what do all of you pregnant (and previously pregnant) ladies love people to tell/ask you?

What do you hate?

Thanks!

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    All i wanted to hear from anyone was that they brought me a cold cut toasted with mayo [​IMG]

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    No comments on the names. It's personal and not everyone will like it.
    Don't touch the belly
    Just make sure she takes time for herself. She'll never have it again!

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Take her an apple a day. That way you can help with the nutrition of her baby. She will thank you for it.

Don't touch the belly
    Don't say, "Wow your getting bigger!"
    Don't anything thats bad

Be positive. Mainly when she may be a bit grouchy. [​IMG]

5. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Tell her how beautiful she is...NEVER refer to her size!
    Act like you know what you are looking at when she shows you the ultrasound.
    Try to make 'good' memories for her!

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    If you don't say anything at all, you'd be safe. It's her private deal, nobody else's.

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have 4 children and with all 4 of my pregnancies nothing bothered me EXCEPT towards the end when I was miserable and people would ask really dumb questions, such as... "You haven't had that baby yet?" or "When are you going to have that baby?" [​IMG] [​IMG]

So, in her 9th month if her belly is still huge and she still waddles when she walks then, NO, she has not had that baby yet. And, unless she is having a scheduled c-section, she doesn't know when she'll be having that baby. So don't ask. [​IMG]

8. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Quote:I see her everyday, all day. I think it would be a little awkward to not say anything, lol.

9. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I HATED when people wanted to just reach out and touch my belly.. WITHOUT asking! LOL Of course, I'm not a very touchy-feely person [​IMG] Some women want everyone and their brother to feel the baby kick! LOL

Not much happens, in a sense, until month 5 when you start to feel the baby move. Up to month 3 is sometimes taboo because 3 months is considered the safe point, once crossed the baby is most likely going to be born. Many miscarriages take place before the third month. I never worried about it, but some women do. Superstition and all.

I liked when people asked about names, or if I knew what sex it was going to be. Ideas on where to find things... like one lady pointed me to Target for their AWESOME selection of nursing bras! They are hard to find [​IMG] LOL Things like that.

I hate that my mom signed me up for like a dozen baby magazines that STILL sometimes show up at the house [​IMG] They all say the same stuff! ACK!!! Some of the ads are cool though.

I never minded the "wow! You're getting HUGE!" comments....LOL But I don't worry about my wieght.. some women don't care, some hate it! Probably best to stay clear of it, and if she mentions how huge she feels, just say something like " Well, that's gonna be one big, healthy, bouncing baby! Yay for you!" [​IMG]

Stretch marks are a badge of honor in my eyes! LOL

A cool gift if she hasn't already picked a name is a baby name books....even though I never used them I loved reading through any that I could get my hands on [​IMG] Also... the 'what to expect' books, if this is her first are FANTASTIC!!!! Ask the book store, they should know... they're very popular.

I'll tell ya what's nice..... onsies and sleepers!!!! Everyone always wants to buy you sets, and babies just aren't comfy in things that ride up and fall down [​IMG] I always tell everyone... BUY the baby ONE PIECE clothing, if you must buy me clothing for the baby! [​IMG]

As far as pregnancy.... just be supportive, offer sincere compliments, ask questions if you're curious...... it doesn't hurt anything. It's good sometimes too , to be able to vent.... pregnancy can be a real chore... takes a toll on the body, especially towards the end! We (women) tend to get pretty emotional in pregnancy... I'm sure she'll let you know how she's feeling about things [​IMG] I'm sure you'll be fine and unoffensive [​IMG] I always appreciated the people who were excited for me [​IMG]

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:I see her everyday, all day. I think it would be a little awkward to not say anything, lol.

Well, you could say "I hope you're feeling well, and congratulations". (But you never know if the baby was planned, and maybe it's not an entirely happy situation... you just never know - that's why it's safe to let her keep her privacy, even though her belly might be big and "out there" for all to see ...)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by