what do roost mites look like?

speedymom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 18, 2010
I was cleaning my nesting boxes out today for my 14 week old pullets, because they are actually starting to go in them for the first time to "practice" I have had some hay in there for a few weeks before this just to make them inviting but this is the first time I've needed to clean them. I saw lots of little crawly red bugs about the size and shape of fleas, but the are red and don't jump. Also I saw alot of "sugar ants" but I have those all over my house, inside and out. THe weird thing is that there is DE in there which the bugs were crawling all over in! What do you all think these red bugs are? They were easily squished.

The mites that I've seen are usually smaller than fleas - kinda looks like a pile of dart dirt flecks, except that when you watch close they are moving. Not sure what you may have there - but the DE doesn't do anything to kill the mites and bugs that I've had problems with. I even dusted for a full week to see if it just took some time. No luck, for killing the mites I use good ol' 7 dust or 7 spray, and the DE as a preventative.

I agree, I kind of thought they were too big to be mites, in my experience as a vet tech with dogs and cats you can only see mites on a microscope
smile.png
But they ARE wierd bugs, anybody have any idea what they are? I may buy some sevin dust but I am hesitant to use it in the nesting boxes where (hopefully) there will be eggs that I am eating.

There are all sorts of mites; some are microscopic; others are just as described. Sounds to me like red mites, and are what I often have to contend with. Red mites are supposed to be some of the hardest to eradicate. Try sevin or permethrin dust, or a penetrating spray. But first, completely clean out the coop and nest boxes. Toss away all bedding (with mites in it, don't put it in the compost pile), and at least hose down all surfaces; scrubbing would be better.

Once everything is cleaned and thoroughly sprayed with pestticide (a long lasting one is a good choice), put in new shavings. Do not use straw, which can and often does harbor bugs and mold. Make sure the shavings are kiln dried for the same reason. Put sevin or poultry dust in the nest boxes, underneath shavings or hay.

Make sure to treat your chickens before putting htem back in their newly cleaned coop; chances are pretty high that they also have the mites crawling on them. Best choice is a flea/tick shampoo that contains an insect growth regulator for each bird. Personally I prefer Sergeant's Gold as it is relatively inexpensive and does a good job. Target and Walmart often carry either or both the cat &/or dog formulas. Next best is a thorough spraying with a flea/tick spray, next is dusting (harder to do a thorough job). I also use pour-on ivermectin while their featehrs are still damp from their bath.

Back
Top Bottom