What do small businesses need?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Xtina, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Hi guys,
    I've been tasked with helping my company think of new revenue streams. We're a small business consultancy, which basically means we write business plans, but we can also offer a lot of consulting for entrepreneurs. I thought it was likely that there are plenty of entrepreneurs here on the BYC - I mean, the site has so many members. Those of you who have started businesses before, can you think of anything that you needed that you didn't have? I'm thinking like marketing support or something similar. And I definitely mean besides money [​IMG]. Everyone knows small businesses need money, but my company's not involved in the lending game.

I have plenty of ideas of my own, by the way! I'm not coming here to have you guys do my job for me, haha. I've got a whole list of things I think we can offer, but I wanted to see if any entrepreneurs have any life experience they can share with me. What would have made your entry into your marketplace easier? What would have gotten you more business?

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:hello, from my point of view, all what my business needs at the moment is customers, and I mean customers who are willing to get some projects done, lately construction industry went down hill, and around here very few ppl are building new houses or even remodeling, and I don't want to dissapoint you or anyone else, but if the consumers don't have the confidence again in the economy and if they can't get loans any more, then there is no marketing Idea on earth will let them spend the $$. period.

3. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    1. Help getting inline with laws, codes, statutes, etc, before OSHA shows up with a fine.

2. Getting a good insurance carrier.

4. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Omran, I really sympathize with anyone in the construction industry. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there: lots of qualified people and not a lot of jobs for them.

Thanks for the suggestion, JetBlack!

5. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    dedication and a niche good luck

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Good, trustworthy employees

7. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Ways to market, cheaply!

There is no way to inexpensively get word around about products or your company.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I say the biggest impediment to small business are TAXES!!!!!!!!
    After that, EXCESSIVE, UNNECESSARY REGULATION!

I can even put a sign on my sign pole because the county can't find records from when it was installed 20 years ago. That sign pole is sturdier than most of the freaking buildings! So instead we use banners. Guess what the county is now proposing? Charging small businesses a banner fee. SERIOUSLY?!?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by