What do they need INSIDE the coop at night?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fshinggrl, May 9, 2009.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Ok, a question from a newbie who is trying to figure out the coop thing!

What do the chickens need at night? Food & Water? Just water? I plan on having the chickens inside the coop every night but I am trying to figure out where to put the feeder/waterer where they won't be pooped on. We bought a chicken coop that doesn't have the best design, but we were limited on funds... so we are trying to make it as chicken friendly as possible. Thanks!

2. Sam The Yam

Sam The Yam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    At night they won't need much, just a safe place to roost. They should roost until daybreak and then they would start roaming around until you come to let them out. Water would be the most important then you would probably most likely feed them when you come. Just keep the water and food away from and out from underneath where they roost.

3. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    When my chicks were small, I had food and water in the coop. I was able to hang both the food and water so they couldn't spill it.

But, by the time they were about 3 or 4 months old I took both the food and water out of the coop. Of course we have nice weather most of the year, and my chicken yard is secure so I just leave the coop open and if they get hungry or thirsty they can go outside.

I think once it is dark, they pretty much stay on the roosting poles all night. I get up eary to clean the coop, since it appears to me all they do at night is POOP!!!

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:LOL Yeah.. what fun! This coop isn't going to be the easiest to clean either... but thanks for the information! I should be able to feed outside and keep any rain out of the food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by