What do think about cable ties and beads?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by needmorechickens!, Feb 6, 2009.

1. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I am looking for something to use as leg bands on my birds. I have heard that some here on BYC use the cable ties (zip ties) like these...

[​IMG]

I have only found a few different colors of cable ties which means I would have to use multiple ones on a bird to identify them.
    So I was thinking about using a cable tie with a series of craft beads on it like this...

[​IMG]

Disclaimer: No chickens were harmed in this experiment. [​IMG]

Do you see any problems with this?

~Rebecca

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I dont.
    But I will admit my mind went to a dirty place when I read the thread title. I must be feeling better [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  3. needmorechickens!

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Rhett&SarahsMom :

I dont.
    But I will admit my mind went to a dirty place when I read the thread title. I must be feeling better [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

~Rebecca​

4. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Rhett&SarahsMom :

I dont.

[​IMG]

Mine didn't- I must be uh, stagnant, now.

In fact, I read the title and said, "Cah blet eez? What in the heck are 'cah blet eez ?' "

So, I clicked to find out ... [​IMG]

To the OP,
    I would worry about the chickens pecking at each others beads all the time- and possibly injuring or aggrivating, each other.​

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Let me know how it goes, I've been thinking about that and just hadn't tryed it. I wonder if smaller bed might be better?
    I know the oldtimers used to put things on a hen legs tho stop them from being broody. If its to big the hens might lay standing up? not in the nest box? becouse they can't sit comfy.( i know thats the wrong word but I can't think of any thing else [​IMG])

6. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i see mud filled in the beads... but that is in my own yard. other than that i think you would be ok.

7. seymojo536

seymojo536 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2007
    Central Ohio
    We use the white ones. I use a small (1/4 in size) number stamp kit, heat the end of it and press the numbers into the cabletie. Rub a magic marker over it and wipe off.
    Just be sure to watch that the tie doesn't tighten up and cut into the leg.
    Of course if you have letter or number beads you could do that and give you a nice id band.

8. needmorechickens!

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I couldn't find any number and letter beads with a hole big enough to fit on the cable tie.

If I did do this, I think I would avoid using the color red (I think they would be more likely to pick at that)

I may try it on a couple of them this weekend and see how it goes.

It would be cool if they had some kind of flat plastic item that slid onto a cable tie with minimum bulk...hmmmm... [​IMG]

~Rebecca

9. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I had bought some red/white/blue on ebay just lately but I only put on my sex link so could tell apart from the RIW when I mix them in the future..I am not putting on all my chickens..

10. egggarden

egggarden Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Central Wisconsin
    How about color coding white cable ties with permanent markers? Example: 1 red stripe on white cable, two red stripes, green stripes.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by