What do u call a Leghorn x New Hampshire hen

justchookin

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
I recently bought some Leghorn x New Hampshires as pets and for eggs. Absolutely gorgeous girls. Is there a particular name for this hybrid mix? And has anyone got this mix and can advise an idea of how many eggs they should lay first year. Roughly. They are now about 20 weeks old. Can't wait for them to start laying!

Don't know if rooster was Leghorn or New Hampshire

Girls vary from reddish brown to dark brown. All have golden streaky stripes at back of neck. All show white feathers coming thro, especially tip of tail. Am quite intrigued by their golden highlights on back of neck.

What makes u say rooster would be New Hampshire? I have no idea.

Love girls to bits but must say there's something Jurassic Park about them. Haven't told them that tho!

Quote:
I was responding to a previous post offering that they were red sex links.

They would only be RSLs if the rooster was the New Hampshire and the Hen had a silver gene. Frankly, it doesn't matter. They are hybrids, mixes, mutts, etc. They'll probably lay up a storm and you'll love them and that is all that matters.

i have a leghorn RIR mix i call her a mutt lol but she lays an egg everyday at the same time
smile.png

Fred's Hens :

The NH would have to be the Rooster and the Hen would have to have silver. Not sure the leghorn has the silver, at least most?

Yeah, I'm not into all the genetics either. Don't even know if Leghorns are dominant or recessive white?
Though by the description of the pullets coloring it seems likely they have the silver gene and resulted in a sex link.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom