What do u call a Leghorn x New Hampshire hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by justchookin, Oct 13, 2011.

1. justchookin

justchookin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    I recently bought some Leghorn x New Hampshires as pets and for eggs. Absolutely gorgeous girls. Is there a particular name for this hybrid mix? And has anyone got this mix and can advise an idea of how many eggs they should lay first year. Roughly. They are now about 20 weeks old. Can't wait for them to start laying!

Don't know if rooster was Leghorn or New Hampshire

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Not that I've heard. I guess you'll just call them your chickens. Egg laying should get great. The egg should be light, off white colored?

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Wouldn't that cross (Hampshire over Leghorn) be a type of red sex link? Males white and females red/gold with white leakage.

4. Fred's Hens

The NH would have to be the Rooster and the Hen would have to have silver. Not sure the leghorn has the silver, at least most?

5. justchookin

justchookin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Girls vary from reddish brown to dark brown. All have golden streaky stripes at back of neck. All show white feathers coming thro, especially tip of tail. Am quite intrigued by their golden highlights on back of neck.

What makes u say rooster would be New Hampshire? I have no idea.

Love girls to bits but must say there's something Jurassic Park about them. Haven't told them that tho!

6. Fred's Hens

Quote:I was responding to a previous post offering that they were red sex links.

They would only be RSLs if the rooster was the New Hampshire and the Hen had a silver gene. Frankly, it doesn't matter. They are hybrids, mixes, mutts, etc. They'll probably lay up a storm and you'll love them and that is all that matters.

7. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    i have a leghorn RIR mix i call her a mutt lol but she lays an egg everyday at the same time [​IMG]

8. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Fred's Hens :

The NH would have to be the Rooster and the Hen would have to have silver. Not sure the leghorn has the silver, at least most?

Yeah, I'm not into all the genetics either. Don't even know if Leghorns are dominant or recessive white?
    Though by the description of the pullets coloring it seems likely they have the silver gene and resulted in a sex link. [​IMG]

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:In short, No.
    The Leghorn is Dominate White.

Chris

10. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    A New Leg-shire [​IMG]