what do u thick my pea chicks are dying from

jimmythechicken

Songster
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
mansfield
ok we got 2 peachicks about 4 weeks ago we had them for around a 1 1/2 weeks an we let them outside for about half hour i know dumb did not know better do now.then about a week later one of them die.we buy 2 more from same guy about a week later 2nd one dies.an about 4 days later a 3rd one died.i put them up on wire after the first one died thanks to deerman did not know they needed to be up.there water is changed every morning an the guy told us to feed them med chick starter with grit.his bird were keeped in a 20x20 dog kennel with a tarp tied over it for about 25 peacocks not very good an he never let us see were the peachicks were keeped inside.do you think they were sick when we got them or do you think it is our pen?debbie is so sad she wont even go to the coop anymore?i am going to get her a older pair do you think they will be o.k wont be near the last peachick.they all seem healthy running around then check in morning an there dead.any ideas i know we are not getting anymore peachicks there.pleasehelp jim

Coccidia parisites live in the ground and in feces of infected birds, and are one of the main killers of baby chicks. That is why it is suggested to keep them off the ground on wire. Coccidia attacks the liver and you can often see blood in feces in last stages, but not always. Corid - a cattle product found at may feed stores and TSC works well for it. It comes in a big bottle or a small bottle, get the small one. 1 teaspoon per gallon of water, for 5 days. Typically if infected they get weak, start to slow down, get fluffed up and start huddling..... Another problem could be Blackhead disease, often carried by chickens that were affected. If the area was once used for chickens, it may have a problem. You often see bright yellow feces and listlessness. Treated with Fish Zole fish medication. For peachicks I would dissolve one tabled in 1/2-1 gallon of water.... adults you give 2 pills a day for 5 days. (250 mg) Another cause could be respiratory illness. Listen to their lungs for wheezing and crackling. If they are in a drafty area - i thought I saw bricks and cinder blocks, those keep it chilly and harbor mold and dampness.... I would be careful. Chicks need to be kept out of drafts, near a heat source (I know you have a light) and up off the ground. The breeder might not have wanted you back there because some people practice good Biosecurity and don't want whatever you stepped in to contaminate their property. But it could be for other reasons...... hard to say.

thanks chickenzoo i picked up corid at tsc once it dies of from them will they just pick it back up off the ground or can it not live in them once treaded.thanks jim

It can live in the soil for quite a long time. There is actually many strains of coccidia. Birds on one property will build up tolerance to that one type. Once a new bird is brought in, a new strain is introduced to the soil, that the birds that where there are not immune too, hence causing trouble. Baby chicks normally get immunity from mom for that one location, they eat her poo in some form, and seem to build up tolerance most of the time. Since we raise chicks w/o mom they have no immunity. Keep them on wire until at least 3 months old, their system will be better to fight off diseases and parasites at that time. Clean the pen very good as they can contact it again through ingesting contaminated feces. Keep Corid on hand as it can reoccur. Hope that helps some.

thanks alot we will treat all the birds to be safe cant hurt should i not eat there eggs while they are being treated?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear ,you are losing them......think chickenzoo is right on. the seller maybe letting the peachick come in contact with dropping.

They maybe putting them on dirty ground, it takes a few weeks b4 they would died from the cocci. that would be my guess.

Free range chicks hatched are not exposed to a high build up of dropping. Reason why best to raise them on wire.

Try getting bird at least 3 months old ,or peachicks that have been brooded on wire.

Wish you were near, I would be glad to give Debbi a few.

ya i think that is what it was we are treating the last one now i hope he makes it debbie is getting so fustrated but doing better now that we think we know what it is.she cleaned tthe cage an whipped down all the wire with hot water there poop looked very dark an runny.she did get her first egg today from her chicken so that did chear her up.funny u say that deerman she was trying to talk me into driving to ohio to get peachicks from you she even mapquested it 10hrs one way.told her that is a bit far.thanks for all the help guys.she is looking for a 1 year old pair to start with now so i will post up if she finds something.she wants to get a bs pied or a purple pied or emrald pied loves how the pieds look any suggestions on best peacock tempermant an health

They should also be eating a gamebird starter (medicated). Chick starter is not high enough protein for peachicks.

Back
Top Bottom