What do vegans feed chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by crc310, Mar 16, 2013.

1. crc310

crc310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2013
    Michigan
    I haven't any hens yet but I need to be prepared. I am in search of vegetarian/ vegan feed. I am aware that chickens are omnivorous but I am not interested in supporting a formula that was cruelly made with other animals including sealife. Also, what can I use instead of oyster shells? The chickens will get lots of bugs to eat, they will be free range during the day. I am ONLY interested in ideas that support my beliefs, all others will be ignored. Thank you for respecting that! (No, I don't eat animal products either, the chickens will be pets, the unfertilized eggs will be my husbands to devour)

2. Chicken Master1

Chicken Master1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    my chicken coop
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    You're in luck. Most chicken feeds today are vegetarian.

4. crc310

Feb 25, 2013
    Michigan
    Most available by me has porcine in it... *cringing*

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Do you plan on allowing them outside? If so, they will eat grubs, bugs, worms, toads, frogs and any other meat they can possibly gobble up. Unless raised in a sterile room, there's no real way to keep a chicken a vegetarian, although it is true, that feed sold at stores is almost always vegetarian.

The Family Farm and Home and TSC's near you in Almont, Richmond and Imlay City are loaded with vegetarian feed.

6. crc310

Feb 25, 2013
    Michigan
    I am not planning on keeping them from eating outside creatures, there is no way to do that:) They will be free range during the day while I'm home. In a fence run while I'm not. And in the coop at night. They will get plenty of little critters here! I just don't want to support the cruelty of a packaged diet. I will have to keep looking for non-animal sources foods. I have checked Farm & Family in Richmond and TSC in New Haven, guess I have to look harder:)

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

TSC sells Purina/DuMor which is vegetarian. As is the FF&H lines of Purina and Kent.

Truth is that finding chicken feed with porcine has become a very, very hard thing to do.

8. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    It is not natural for chickens to vegetarian diets. Have you considered making your own feed so you could choose the protein source yourself?

9. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    As for not feeding them oyster shell for their calcium needs, try feeding them their eggshells back to them. My grandmothers would bake the shells for 5-10 minutes and then crush the shells and throw them in the run or you can put them in a dish.

10. c2chicks

c2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Instead of oyster shell, crush up and feed their own shells back to them. Mine prefer their own shell. Also, you could feed them scrambled egg or hard boiled yolk for extra protein. And you could create an environment where their free-ranging would give them good access to bugs, grubs etc. i.e. plant things that will attract beetles, good compost for worms etc. Your veggie scraps tossed in the run or compost pile will be a great place for protein to "grow".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by