1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do we do about a broody goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by goose4, Jan 1, 2013.

1. goose4

goose4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2012
    Up North MN
    Our female brown chinese goose is determined to start a family even though it was -22 Degrees F this morning. She has laid some eggs which we have taken away and now she resorts to sitting on chicken eggs. I am worried that she is not moving around enough or getting enough to eat. We keep kicking her off the nest but she keeps going back.

2. goose4

Aug 16, 2012
    Up North MN
    [​IMG]
    Here is where she spends her day.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think i would just keep making sure there are no eggs to sit on either goose or chicken. and get rid of the nest. so she doesn't have a place to sit. I have to do this with my broody hens, and ducks, haven't had to do it yet with my goose, she hasn't started laying yet. Persistence is the key here probably.

4. goose4

Aug 16, 2012
    Up North MN
    Thank you, she is such a sweet little goose. I hope she is interested again in a few months when it warms up.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She probably will be and it will be much more conducive to sitting and hatching then too. All the best. and be sure to let us in on it will you?

6. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Aww, I'm sure she will be!! Miss Lydia is right, you'll need to be persistent

7. goose4

Aug 16, 2012
    Up North MN
    I will let everyone know what happens in the spring. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by