1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What do we do

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hoppyhen, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Hoppyhen

Hoppyhen In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2013
    Suffolk, England
    We've got one of our bantams sitting on 8 eggs, it's a first for us so we're just a bit eggcited :) although I don't watch her constantly I don't think she's been out for the last 2 days, I've put a bowl of water & some food in the coop but should we be putting her out everyday? She originally laid the eggs in an unsafe place so we moved her into a spare coop so she's safe. Any advice very gratefully received :)

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    She'll be fine.
    She knows what she's doing . . . hatching some eggs! [​IMG]

It always seems like the never leave the nest, but they do.

Good you put food/water nearby... they appreciate that.

If she wants to stretch her legs, she will.

Congrats on your broody mom!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    She's not going to leave the nest if you are watching her. She'll wait until she thinks absolutley nobody is near her nest. I have multiple broodys and I leave them alone. After dark, I'll go in the coop (everybody is quiet and settled for the night) and feel the broody's crop. If I feel food I know everything is okay. If not, I'll make mental note to keep an eye on whomever has an empty crop. I've never had a normal broody go more than one day without food. If you do put food near her be sure to take it away at night as that will attract rodents that can eat the eggs.

Everything will be fine.

Have fun!

4. Hoppyhen

Hoppyhen In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2013
    Suffolk, England
    Thanks. I can see her in the coop from the conservatory so don't actually go out there :) I did put some sweet corn & a small slice of banana in with her yesterday & that's gone so she probably is eating, we just want to make sure alls ok with her :)

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Free Ranging Premium Member 8 Years

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Chickens have been hatching eggs since their creation. She'll be fine. If they couldn't do it on their own, they would have become extinct by now. One thing to think about - they are not burning much energy while sitting on their nests, so they don't need to refuel as often. Now, relax and let her do her job. I love watching broodies with their babies once they've hatched.

1 person likes this.
  6. Hoppyhen

Hoppyhen In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2013
    Suffolk, England
    We're so eggcited I can't even tell you. I think the problem is that we've been lots of information from lots of people & it's all a little bit different & we want to do the right thing so thanks guys :)

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Free Ranging Premium Member 8 Years

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Raising chickens it like raising babies - take all the information that you get, sift through it and find out what works best for you. There is no absolute right or wrong way to do it. Let the broodies do their jobs,give them feed, water and shelter and there you have it. Have fun!

8. AlienChick

AlienChick Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    x2 [​IMG]

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree with the above, let that hen do her thing. She really won't kill herself, she'll get up to eat and drink and poop. Mine usually take a quick dust bath and terrorize the other hens while they're up, also! It's hard to trust their instincts and let them be, but it's really best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: