What do we have?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by [email protected], May 27, 2010.

1. Anotherday@thefunnyfarm

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    Tallahassee
    We have purchased quite a few chicks from a small farm and so far (no crowing) we've got all girls.. we're really curious what we've got.. any help out there?
    1. [​IMG] 2. [​IMG]
    3. [​IMG] 4. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I could be totally off, but my guess is OEG and Bantam Cochin . . . hopefully someone with more experience at diffferent breeds will chime in.

3. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    #1 is a Game or Game mix boy #2 is a girl (Easter egger or Game) #3 Cochin boy and I think the boy from first picture #4Buff Columbian Cochin boy and mix (easter egger) boy

4. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Lots of crowing should commence any day now. [​IMG]

5. Anotherday@thefunnyfarm

Sep 8, 2009
    Tallahassee
    awww.. now I'm so sad!!! I was really afraid that we had more boys (we just got rid of 2 that were crowing).. and one just broke my heart because we had hatched HIM from a egg.. he was the only one that survived.. guess we'll be on the lookout for the next loud mouth! thanks guys!

6. Anotherday@thefunnyfarm

Sep 8, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Ok.. so here's 2 others that we're questioning.. (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Don't let my zebra chicken be a boy!!!)
    5. [​IMG] 6. [​IMG]

7. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    I see 3 boys [​IMG]

8. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    to me your "zebra chicken" looks like a barred rock hen. we have some and they look like that. but does it have a rose comb or a single comb i cant tell(if its a rose comb its a domineque or however you spell it but i'm not sure that it would be a hen if it has a rose comb).

9. Anotherday@thefunnyfarm

Sep 8, 2009
    Tallahassee
    She/he/whatever (zebra) is really fast moving.. and I can't ever seem to get a good picture of her... but I'm pretty sure it's a single comb

10. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Yep, I agree.. 5 and six look like a barred rock (hen to me, but may change with a better picture?) and 6 looks like a hatch (American game) pullet.

Just to add it in again- not all games are OEG (Old English Game), in the US OEG have only white legs unless they're a dark variety like a blue, brown red, black/slate (and the varieties like a ginger, red quill, etc.. But the BBred, and such patterns like these are white legged). American games can come just about any comb type, leg color, and color you can think of. Blue and green are especially popular, and behind that I would say the next is yellow.

-Daniel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by