1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do we tell the neighbors?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by fuzziebutt, Aug 17, 2011.

1. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    Our neighbors have always had pets that they never take to the vet, no matter how bad they get. I realise that they don't have alot of money, but here is what we had to do today. They have 2 dogs in very bad shape, they are just pitiful. One was a beautiful boxer named Peaches, who either broke or dislocated a hip a few years ago. They never took her to the vet, and the hip never really healed. She would just limp around on it. Now, she is old, and has something wrong with her, worms or something, and she is starving to death with mange, too. There is no humane shelter or animal control here in the country. There is someone who takes them in, with a donation, and looks for homes for them. They won't come get them. The neighbors also have a chocolate brown Cocker Spaniel that used to be a beautiful dog. Then something happened, and one of her eyes started bugging out badly. She is also very old now. We are building a pond, and we put a culvert in the dam. This morning, hubby went down there, and that spaniel was in the tile, went in there to die. He threw rocks and sand at it until in crawled out, and fell into the pond. It swam to the side, but hubby said that the dog was completly blind, and deaf. It would take a few steps, and fall over, get up, and do it again. So, he shot the dog, and buried it in the woods. We have had confrontations about their animals before, and they just don't seem to care. If they ask us if we have seen the dog, what do we tell them? We won't lie, but how do we tell them without coming across as cruel? To us, cruel is letting them live in that shape. And they have a Jack Russell that is pregnant, again. At least 2 litters a year.

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

That is SO sad-- I'd call animal control immediatly!!!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Tough situation...
    I guess just tell them the truth, what you told us here, that the dog was suffering.

4. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Complete the SSS.
    Slinky

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:And this too...

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would lie. I normally don't advocate it, but I can see no good coming out of telling them the truth.

7. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Your husband is kind to have put the poor dog out of her misery. I wouldn't admit to shooting the dog. I would report the condition of the other 2 dogs to anyone who would listen.

8. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    There is no animal control around here, or we would have. What is SSS?

9. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Make sure it is YOU they ask. You have not seen the dog. Your hubby did. He needs to make himself scarce and you won't have to lie. You might suggest she wandered away to die because they do that sometimes.
    Bless hubby for doing the right thing.

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Shoot, Shovel, Shut up. (Or Silence...however you want it.)

LIE. I'm sorry...no good will come of this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by