What do we think? 2 week old black copper maran :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by spikennipper, Aug 5, 2011.

1. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    I know it's probably a bit too early to tell but what do you all think this 2 week old chick is?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 1maria100

1maria100 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Washington
    Its hard to tell the pictures are pretty small, could you possibly enlarge them for us?

Thanks

3. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Quote:If you put your cursor on the image and click it will enlarge. I'm no help with the sexing of the chick however! [​IMG]

4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    By the amount of white and size of comb, I'll say roo. When I got my BCMs, the boys became obvious very early - 3 weeks or so. I read somehwere that the girls tend to have darker chests than the boys as chicks.

5. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    Look like black aus to me

6. danniboi1990

danniboi1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Coventry
    i agree with ptldchick.. roo!! good looking little fella though [​IMG]

7. ChickenFanatic447

ChickenFanatic447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    My Maran has almost no comb and she is 17 days, so I'm going to hop in the bandwagon and say rooster.

The colour shows a bit of hope though if you want a hen, typically Marans will be darker if they're female chicks and lighter as a male. They could always lighten up of course though.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  8. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Thanks everyone [​IMG] I too have my suspicions that this little one will indeed be a roo, will keep you all posted with pics, did initially want a hen to complete my trio but it now means I can hatch more eggs! won't be until next year now though so I'll just have to be patient [​IMG] does anyone know if a bcm roo crossed with either a Rhode island red or light sussex will produce hens which are dark egg layers? as this is why I like marans [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by