1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do y'all do with all the chicks you hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by georgialee, Apr 25, 2009.

1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Do you keep them or sell them? If you sell them do you sell on craigslist? Do you find them easy to sell? I think it would be fun to hatch in the future but I wouldn't be able to keep more than 1 or 2 of the chicks and it seems like there's always several ads for chicks on craigslist.

2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    well I really sell them, they are very HARD to sell!!! I hatched some on january and i've only selled 4!!! out of 25! Im going to put some on craiglist though

3. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    I let my kids sell the chicks at the flea market, they are learning some trading skills and more about chicken from old timers that is always stopping to look at what they are offering. It is a good experience for them.

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I keep some for my breeding program and replacements. Then I sell the excess chicks, usually on CL or local trade days. Although some I raise and sale as adults, because they bring more.

5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I keep some (though I am starting over right now, leukemia in remission), and any that I dont I send out to family and friends farms.
    There is always a place for them.

6. melody123

melody123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Oregon
    So far I've sold 16 this year and picked out 6 too keep. I'm selling mine at 2-3 months of age when they don't need a heat lamp anymore. I haven't had too much trouble selling them so far, but I'm in a unique situation. (Family farm with fruitstand) Craigslist is wonderful and I recommend it to anyone seeking to buy or sell anything.

Of course I have about 100 chicks that haven't been sold, most because they are still too young. So I will see how this little business turns out. Worst comes to worst, there is a local livestock auction in my area that gets decent prices and I can eat and sell tons of eggs.[​IMG]

7. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I have a tiny but growing business in selling the eggs. My eggs are pretty, different colors of brown and ivory and a few green and the occasional white, and I put them in clear plastic cartons so they show up well with my own labels on them.

I can sell all my hens can produce.

When I have to many to fit in the coop I don't know what I will do if I cannot talk my husband into making me a new coop, and that is rather doubtful as he is not handy.

Guess I will face that problem when I come to it.

8. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I keep the females and try to sell the roos.

9. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for all of your responses! It sounds like it may not be the easiest thing to sell chicks [​IMG] I'm going to contact my local co-ops as next spring nears to see if they will buy chicks from me and go from there. I think it's something I would enjoy and I know my boys would love it.

10. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    well, I have 18 in the bator right now.. and my brothers neighbor wants 10 of them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by