What do ya'll know about Beagles? 40 Free pupppies From Animal Testing

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

My wife just sent this to me. I'm not sure how much of it is / isn't true, but I thought I'd ask anyway since the wife and I discussed getting a beagle:

Alza Corporation, a Johnson & Johnson Company is
    closing their Mountain View facility. The animal test facility has 40, 16
    month old beagle puppies that DESPERATELY need good loving homes. These
    dogs were NEVER tested. If you know of anyone, a rescue* or *are interested
    in helping give these puppies homes, please contact Rick Bible at
    [email protected]il.com
    The facility manager will have to put them to
    sleep if no homes are found by *OCTOBER 15TH*!!

http://network.bestfriends.org/News.../ArchiveList.aspx?month=10&year=2007&gu=&pg=1

So, what do ya'll know about beagles? Remember, Alana is allergic to dogs but we hear Beagles are hypoallergenic.

How are their personalities? Use Yellow Labs as a baseline (my favorite dog and what I've had all my life).

Are beagles friendly, smart, good with kids, etc?​

2. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    We have a beagle, Max. He was a very destructive puppy, has gotten out of that some (two years old now), but is the most loving dog. He is so tolerant of my daughter. I call him her baby. He is very friendly, does not know a stranger.

He is smart to an extent - he will listen, when he's not being stubborn. [​IMG] The barking is probably the hardest with beagles... if he gets the slightest scent of a rabbit, deer, etc., he BAROOOOOS, loud and for a long time!!

As for the hypoallergenic thing, I've never heard that.

Good luck! I wish I were closer to take at least one.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hyopoalergenic is a lie... just some are more so than other. Less hair less problem right. Other than that I don't know anything bout dogs. I support animal testing/research but lets not get into any of that kind of stuff. [​IMG]

4. Nifty-Chicken

Ok, my wife just did a bit more searching and said that you guys are right... they aren't hypoallergetic. Bummer.

Still, anybody need a free puppy.... or 40?

5. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    If Alana is allergic to dogs, she will react. These dogs are no where near Hypoallergenic. She would need a nonshedding dog with hair, not fur. Poodle, chinese crested, some people do okay with Maltese shaved short.
    Beagkes are great dogs, need lots of exercise and can be quite loud- as in yodeling.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Hypo-allergic, no...not with these Beagles. If they can pass dander, and shed hair, which I know they do, then they can not be hypo allergic. More like a sales gimmick if you ask me. Llike people say about Poodles as being hypo allergic, which they really are NOT but they dont shed as much as a collie or lab. I got my SIL that has a poodle that she is allergic and once she leaves him outside or takes him to the groomer, her allergies stopped.

Yes they do have a high nose scent traits in them and high energy level. Without the proper training and knowledge of handing and training Beagles, they are indeed can be very destructive. Nothing like an unhappy beagle and they do have a mind of their own...whatever their nose says go track, they will go! Take them out hunting and they love it!

Yes in the city we know of beagles and they do BARK excessively and its annoying to some folks.

AS their disposition, they are somewhat aloof and independent. They are not known to be kid friendly like a Lab or Collie would be probably tolerant of children. If you get a puppy, it may or may not be acceptive toward kids.

Would I get a beagle? No I would not. High maintaince dog, high strung, high energy, a little harder to train than labs and collies and not too toleratant of kids.

7. Nifty-Chicken

Ok, thanks all! I guess this is a moot point since the allergy is a deal breaker.

I'll start a new thread some time to get opinions on non-allergetic dogs... but I doubt I'll ever find a non-allergetic breed that is as perfect as the yellow lab.

Thanks again for the replies.

8. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    Standard poodles make excellent pets. They are hypoallergenic, larger dogs and extremely intelligent. They are similar to labs in several ways. Definitely a breed to consider if you want a larger, smart dog that wont mess with your wife's allergies.

9. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I agree with texasgirl's post. Perhaps you can contact a local kennel club and have someone bring a poodle to your house and see how your wife reacts.

IMO, toy poodles and miniature poodles have been more popular with people AND puppy-mill-type breeders than the standard variety. That's why I gave my mother a standard poodle. She LOVES that dog.

Personally, I'm partial to the Havanese, but I also have a Coton de Tulear. Both are considered suitable for people with dander allergies and there's minimal shedding.
    Stephanie

10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Look into the Wheaton Terrier. They are hypo-A and cute. I have a customer who told me this week that they chose the breed due to allergies and love it. Its a yr old and no complaints.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by