What do y'all put in oatmeal for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kuntrychick, Dec 2, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    When y'all give oatmeal to the chickens, are you giving them oatmeal that didn't all get eaten or do you specifically make oatmeal for the chickens?

I don't give them any of mine if there's any left over because mine has too much butter & sugar...LOL [​IMG]

So, I specifically make some for them. I leave out the salt in the water & i don't add anything to it except sometimes a little buttermilk & BOSS & maybe scrambled eggs with egg shells.

What do your chickens get in their oatmeal?

2. MsMoerose

MsMoerose Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2011
    Mine eat the uncookes oats out of my hand.

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Just blueberries.

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I occasionally make oatmeal for my birds on very cold mornings. I throw whatever I have leftover from meals in it. They go crazy over raisins (don't give too many), shredded carrots, apples, green beans, peas, spinach, corn, etc...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  5. sassifrassi

sassifrassi Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Toronto
    I make them oatmeal porridge when its cold and I add raisins or cranberries and sometimes I add protein powder.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I've been feeding one of my hens oatmeal & GBS to promote feather growth.

7. partsRheavy

partsRheavy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Protein powder for chickens?! [​IMG] That stuff is expensive!! I can see feed, oatmeal, sunflower seeds and of course leftovers and surplus garden veggies but dang! Protein powder went way up a few years ago!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by