What do ya'll think I'll get?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gertsgal, Nov 16, 2011.

1. gertsgal

gertsgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Hi, I am impatiently waiting for the post office to call to say my babies are here. I ordered 4 Americauna's, 2 blue cochins, 2 barred rocks and 4 surprise chickens (all girls). I ordered from Ideal poultry. Any guesses what I might get? Also, will they let me know what my surprise chicks are? Obviously a first time chick orderer:) Thanks.

2. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I don't think they usually tell you what you get...I only say this because I've seen lots of posts in the "What breed is this chicken" forum. Seems like a lot of people get EE's for their "suprise" chicks...but I think you just get whatever they have left over from orders that week!! Once you get them, you can post pics in the breed forum...seems to be some experts over there pretty good at figuring out who's who!! Congrats on your babies!

3. gertsgal

gertsgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Ha, Thanks for that. I had better figure out how to post pictures !

4. Kickin.Cowgirl

Kickin.Cowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    I'm going to check out ideal poultry... Surprise chicks sound like fun especially if you can specify pullets...[​IMG]

5. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    I just received my order from Ideal. Ordered 13 and got 23. WooHoo!!! I have no idea what my packing peanuts are at this point. I am thinking Orpington, RIR, or New Hampshire. Their wings are just growing in and they are a light tan.

This is day one. The lightest chicks are Cornish X and all the other darker yellow are my packing peanuts.

[​IMG]

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Surprise chicks from hatcheries are almost always roosters [​IMG]

7. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I ordered some ducks from Ideal this Spring and they sent along 5 packing peanuts that looked a lot like yours - I kept my fingers crossed that somehow they had sent me at least one little girl. Alas, they were 5 of the most personable little roo boys who absolutely loved the ducks. They would cry the entire time we had the ducks out for a swim and even tried jumping in the water with them a couple of times. We eventually rehomed them, but they were entertained us for a few months.[​IMG]

I did contact Ideal to get an ID on them, but they said they don't keep track of the peanuts.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    This time of year, you can look at their website and get a good idea of what they are shipping. Many breeds are "sold out". so you know you won't get any of those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by